Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to use Moly Powder

Steve S

Steve,

I just left a message for the MolyCoat guy in Palm Desert as he is minutes away. I'll let yo know what he says and how it goes for me. I want to start making my own bullets and I'd like to coat them as opposed to the old wax lube process.

Jimmy

I have tried this with the Midway Moly powder. This is how it goes. Cast the bullets. Size them. Rinse in alcohol or similar solvent to get all the grease from your fingrs off and let dry. Put about 100-200 at a time in a tumbler bowl. You will need a seperate bowl for this. Add 1/4 cup BBs and about 1/8 tsp. moly. Tumble for about 5 mins. It will make qiute a bit of noise. Poor out and seperate the BBs with magnet. Rub remaining bullets with old towel to get excess moly off. Load as usual. You may want to wear a glove on the hand you pick the bullets up with as you load because it is still pretty messy.. Shoot. Then spend the next week cleaning lead out of your barrel--at least that is what I did. All in all a big PIA if you ask me. I still cast a great deal of 45acp particularly for practice. I tumble lube with liquid alox or rooster lab tumble lube. I still have the moly powder and the spare tumber bowl--not sure why.

Just so we are on the same page. I've been casting bullets and reloading for over 30 years. I wanted to try the Moly Powder to get away from lubing one bullet at a time. These lead bullets are hard cast, sized, then cleaned. I tumbled them with Moly and BB's for about 1 hour. Came out looking GREAT. Loaded up 25 and shot them today. DON'T do it. Talk about a leaded barrel. Worst I've ever had in almost 40 years of shooting. Very Hard to clean. I guess I'll have to go back to Lee Alox or Roosters but they are ugly bullets. Any Ideas???

The bottom line is that home-made moly lubed bullets that won't lead your barrel don't exist.

My never-obtained goal of producing a bullet that looked like a Precision Black Bullet failed because I didn't really pay attention to what Precision has on their bullets. It is some type of polymer or teflon or other esoteric coating that has moly in it. The lead of the bullet never touches the barrel so there is no leading.

I"ll keep watching the forums to see if someone is successful, but until then, I'll be lubing with a hard lube when I size.

FWIW

dj

Yep, I had a Lyman moly kit that used ceramic media. It made the prettiest bullets you ever saw, black mirrors that left black spider webs in the bore over vast amounts of lead.

The fastest method I know of is to dip lube after sizing.