Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Oal In A Single Stack 1911.

dpeters8445

I'm shooting a zero 125 grain jhp bullet and would like to no what you all single stack shooters prefer as an OAL of a loaded round. What I am getting at is when I stack the rounds in the magizines the more rounds I put in a magizine the more the top round points down causing it to crash into the feed ramp. I was wandering if the overall legth contributes at all to the way the cartridges stack. My current OAL is 1.235. The reason I started there is just because that is the OAL that I use in my open gun.

Thanks

IMO, you need to get some round top followers & springs to match for your single stack magazine. I have found that the round top followers work best with small gr. bullets in single stack magazines. But, round top follower will cut 10 rd. magazines to 9 rds. If you need 10 rds. like for Limited 10 try the Shooting Star 10 rd. magazines. I have had really good luck with them but my Limited 10 load is a 147 gr. FMJ @ 1.240. With the round top followers & spring to match I am using a 115 gr. JHP @ 1.240 in my open steel gun and it works 100%. Hope this helps. Keep us posted. ;)

I have 10 rnd shooting star & 9 rnd metalform .38 soupcan singlestack mags and here are the specs for what runs well in them.

147 gr SWC or 124 gr Truncated Cone type bullet I use 1.250"

124 gr FMJ RN I use 1.255"

124 gr JHP I use 1.210"

No real reasons for these lengths other than that's were I stopped developing the load and just started shooting the recipe because I was tired of fartin' with it anymore :-)

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...