Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having Fun Again

TRNinTX

As many of you know, I have two sons that shoot. Kyle, my oldest, is the one who got us started in the sport three years ago. He showed great promise as a new shooter and advanced rapidly under the tutelage of Phil Strader and many other great guys who took time and effort to coach him and offer sound advice. Kyle won a USPSA scholarship to Camp Shootout two years ago and was at his peak after shooting 1,500-2,000 rounds in one week under the close supervision and coaching of Jerry and Kay Clark-Miculek. He had just made B class in Limited and felt he was well on his way to A.

Shortly after camp, Kyle basically laid down the gun for two years to concentrate on his schooling. He will graduate soon as a Paramedic. Kyle was frustrated every time he shot a match because he felt he was not shooting to his ability, although I kept telling him he could not perform at a high level without practice. To make a long story short (or in this case shorter), on one of the last two or three stages at FGN, the light came on and Kyle realized that to enjoy what he was doing he would have to work at it again. On the way home he started re-reading "The Book", watched Matt Burkett's video as soon as he got home, began analyzing his shooting on videos we took at FGN and dry firing on a regular basis. Immediately his performance improved and at our last local match, he had his best match in two years. He is back on track and having more fun shooting than I have seen him have in a long time. BJ better look out because Kyle will be breathing down his neck!

Sorry for the long post, but sometimes a Dad has to brag on his kids. :rolleyes: