Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Small Rifle BR Primers

Hello,

I recently acquired my first .38 Super Open gun. I have studied this forum regarding loads etc and have this question.

I have 2,000 Remington Small Rifle Benchrest Primers that I would like to use in my Starline SuperComp brass. I see no reason why these primers would not work just fine. I'll be testing loads for signs of pressure with 350, SR 7625 and 4756 with 124 MG JHPs.

Anyone disagree?

Thanks,

Lynn

Thats what I plan on doing. I thought I would test the water to see if anyone was going to emphatically scream NO! I see no reason why they won't but, will load a sample batch before loading 1,000 of em.

thx,

lg

I had about 5000 CCI small rifle benchrest primers that were about 20 years old and all functioned well in my 38 Super. Then I used winchester small Rifle primers until they were hard to get and now I use winchester small pistol and all have worked well. however, that is based on "MY" guns.

Every gun is different and there are many factors that combine to make the round go bang when the hammer falls. Just some of those factors are weight and length of firing pin and FP spring, hammer weight, main spring weight, weight of mainspring cap, the hammer strut, etc. Then the hardness of different primers from different manufacturers.

It is a good policy that anytime you change anything you test it. If you change a part test the gun, if you change a reloading component test and chrono some rounds.

DO NOT use remington riifle primers in your pistol. We found this out the hard way about 10 years ago. The remington rifle primers are very hard. Because the pressure is much lower in a pistol load the primer does not seal around the primer and there is gas bleed through. This took only a couple hundred rounds to erode a nice little ring into my breachface that was bad enough to cause the gun to not feed. The same thing happened to a friends gun a few years later. Use winchester primers and sell the remingtons to someone who loads rifle.

I use Rem 7 1/2 in my .204 Ruger rifle because they are extremely hard and not prone to punching a hole in the primer under pressure. Even so, I am switching over to CCI BR4 because of gas leaking around the Remington primer.

I use Fed or Win small rifle in my .38 super.

In my experience, Rem BenchRest Rifle primers would not always go bang in my 38 Super. They seemed to me to be very hard. I have never had a problem with Remington, Federal, Winchester, or Wolf small rifle primers.

I had these primers and I figured I might as well use em up. Sounds like I need to load a few and see if I get leakage or erratic strikes. I'll let you know my experience.

Thanks all.