Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People that hoot-n-holler during the national anthem

Anon

When the national anthem is being performed - SHUT UP. All the way to the end. Really.

"....land of the free..." is not a cue to scream your fool head off. :angry2:

I don't even think we should bother having the anthem kick off sporting events. Save it for events where it might get the respect it deserves.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, here's a note for all the people who sing the anthem. IT'S NOT "YOUR" SONG. Don't ty to make it "yours" by adding your personal touches (hint: you suck, and will wreck the song*). Sing it straight-up, or step away from the mic.

*Jimi Hendrix is excused from this rule at major '60s rock festivals.

the way it should be sung .. imho... and how to act during..........

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=73894&hl=

Actually, it was the second post in that thread that got me started on this one.

The first video was better, but still involved singers messing with the song (runs at the end), and crowds making noise during the song.

Maybe, instead of hand-on-heart, we should make it hand-on-mouth! :mellow:

The other side of this story is, however, that when the artists rendering the anthem are SO GOOD at it that we are overcome with pride (or something), we can be caught cheering or otherwise reacting with positive intent. It gets to be a matter of can-we-control-ourselves-in-the-face-of-exceptional-talent....?......

I still think we should TRY and control ourselves, but it's widely known that musical frequencies (ESPECIALLY HARMONIES AND HARMONICS!) can produce spontaneous positive emotional reactions in the human. Those are just as hard to control as hateful emotional reactions. The dilemma persists, then.

The National Anthem isn't just another song sung at a sporting event. It was written by a man who was watching a battle against his country and couldn't tell how it went until the sun came up. I think it was written out of the emotion of seeing the "good guys" win. Of course his position at the time, standing on an American warship behind a British blockade, probably kept his celebration to a minimum, don't ya think?

As for sporting events, a lot of the time the hootin' and hollerin' after the National Anthem is just Bubba gettin' back into his cold beer. But occasionally, it's from someone, or a group of someones who actually heard or remembered the words and the event the song portrays. That usually gets me fired up.

I hate the beer-induced disrespect, but I love to hear someone become emotionally involved when the National Anthem is played or our Flag is passing by, or a there is a Flyby by one of our country's military branches.

The utmost respect is usually paid to the dead. There is no sound, no movement at a funeral. Our country is on the ropes but I, for one, am an eternal optimist and believe it will survive. The day that there is no response at the end of the National Anthem, will be a sad day indeed.

just another flag waver,

dj