Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tap C-More Mount?

rider82

I'm still collecting parts for an open build. What is the lowest mount I can get, and still not have major problems(9mm gun). I've seen the Millenium canted mount, I just don't know if like the position of it. Does anybody have a decent photo of the Double Tap. Their site photo is really bad.

I've seen the Millenium canted mount, I just don't know if like the position of it.

Seen pictures or actually handled one? Hopefully you can get to shot one. I've only been shooting open for about a year or so, I rarely dry fire, switched to Millenium's mount and the first time out of the holster the dot was just "there", weak hand included. Do a search, I don't think you will find to many complaints with it

I've seen the Millenium canted mount, I just don't know if like the position of it.

Seen pictures or actually handled one? Hopefully you can get to shot one. I've only been shooting open for about a year or so, I rarely dry fire, switched to Millenium's mount and the first time out of the holster the dot was just "there", weak hand included. Do a search, I don't think you will find to many complaints with it

I presume you are talking about the mounts made by Barry Ruane. At the Nationals, I was squadded with Matt McLearn who was using one of the them. When I got home I bought one. I really like the sight, it gets the dot down close to where my Limited gun sight would be, but there is a small learning curve.

Some of my observations.. When I first put it on I would hit the back of the C-more with my thumb on the draw, ten minutes of dry fire fixed that. The slide is harder to rack if you don't have a slide racker, mount/C-more gives you less room to grip the slide. Works fine in a Ghost or CR Speed holster, but there are fit issues with some holsters like the Safariland 008. At first you really notice the sight when you bring the pistol up to aim, but it becomes "normal" pretty quick.

+1 to what Bob said. I too run the angled Barry mount.

I will add this, if your smith knows how to make a 9mm run the biggest hurdle you will face are good mags, get some good mags. Good mags are expensive and you will probably have to wait at least a couple months to get them too but they are absolutely essential. The second biggest hurdle is brass, 9mm guns need to be fed good brass to be as reliable as a Super/Super Comp gun and a good portion of the 9mm brass out there is BEAT when you buy it even if it has only been fired one time!! The Barry mount gains you a TON of forgiveness in brass quality and ejection control. A well built 9mm Open gun will be as reliable as a Limited gun with this mount without the gyrations of close attention to your brass.

Build your gun with a Barry mount, get some good mags, load with an EGW U-Die and a Redding Competition Seating die, and life will be good.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a Schuemann AET barrel. I have been shooting my Marvel conversion unit with a C-More and it takes some getting used to when I switch from my limited gun. I'll probably order a mount in the next month or so. Thanks for the help. By the way HSmith, I have three pre-ban SVI 126mm mags with Dawson +2's, what are the odds they will work without tuning? I planned on buying(if I can find them) some SVI 140's. Do all mags need tuning for 9mm?

They might work great, they might not, you will have to use them to find out. It probably won't come as a surprise that I think tuned mags are the way to go.....

If you have stock untuned mags that work they may be on the edge of not working, this gives you no room for something else to be a little out of spec and still have the whole system work. If your mags are perfect it buys you some room to have something else go slightly wrong and still have the whole system work. Overall reliability will be best with perfect mags.

+1 to what Bob said. I too run the angled Barry mount.

I will add this, if your smith knows how to make a 9mm run the biggest hurdle you will face are good mags, get some good mags. Good mags are expensive and you will probably have to wait at least a couple months to get them too but they are absolutely essential. The second biggest hurdle is brass, 9mm guns need to be fed good brass to be as reliable as a Super/Super Comp gun and a good portion of the 9mm brass out there is BEAT when you buy it even if it has only been fired one time!! The Barry mount gains you a TON of forgiveness in brass quality and ejection control. A well built 9mm Open gun will be as reliable as a Limited gun with this mount without the gyrations of close attention to your brass.

Build your gun with a Barry mount, get some good mags, load with an EGW U-Die and a Redding Competition Seating die, and life will be good.

+1

I would love to see some other builders take on the Barry style mount. I know of one person working on a different approach to side-mounting a C-more, but I will leave it to him to post more when he is ready.

I love my Barry mount. It seems to enable me to acquire targets faster, perhaps because the dot is so much closer to the slide and the optical field is larger than the DrDot I had on the gun. I am a lefty, so many of the issues with sight location are moot.

post-12164-1226673659_thumb.jpg

post-12164-1226673667_thumb.jpg

I'm still collecting parts for an open build. What is the lowest mount I can get, and still not have major problems(9mm gun). I've seen the Millenium canted mount, I just don't know if like the position of it. Does anybody have a decent photo of the Double Tap. Their site photo is really bad.

Here ya go

Area2031.jpg

Area2073.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg