Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Training Gear Questions...

PistolPete

I do quite a bit of dryfiring and drawing at home. I just bought a Pact timer so I'm trying to incorportate that into my training. The question I have is when you practice at home do you use full gear? Meaning- do you wear your eyes and ears and gunbelt with holster and mag holsters loaded etc??? I would think this way of training would be more beneficial. As a Martial Arts instructor I tell my students to "train as you fight and fight as you train." With that being said how do you practice at home? I currently don't train with full gear. Usually just my gun and gun belt etc. I don't wear my eyes and ears. I think mostly though because my fiance would think I had totally lost it if I took it that extra step.

Pete

That doesn't sound unusual, getting laughed at anyways, and if your girl thinks you are a bit nuts, you are probably on the right track :)

I don't use the muffs because I have electronic ones and my hearing increases, but because I have special glasses, I generally use them.

I do the same as you do. Inner/Otter belt, empty magazines in the proper places, holster and last but not least the blaster. Oh yes, seeing that I am half blind I always have my eye protection on in one form or another. :P

[Thread drift]

What type of martial arts do you teach? We have owned a martial arts studio for about 8 years.

Jim

I don't wear eyes or ears.

I would never wear ears - although I am all for realistic training I don't know that having ears on has application in my house.

I don't wear eyes - but wouldn't think it an issue if someone did. I guess if you had an AD it would be good to have them on (on second thought ears would be good to for all that I would hear from my wife about it) but I still don't use them.

I do however wear the shorts or pants that I shoot in - or at least a pair that I would shoot in (no - I don't have specific shooting shorts :) ) I wear the type of shirts that I generally wear at matches so I understand what and wear things can get hung.

I also practice with loaded mags - dummy rounds of course - but I see this as one of the most critical components of my at home training. Practice is about feel - and I shoot for the same feel as much as I can.

JB

Well, it looks like we all train on the same level. That is good to hear. I too use electronic hearing protectors so I agree about not wearing them during dry-fire practice.

Jim Eyerman- I teach Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I used to compete nationally in KRANE and NASKA. What style do you teach?

I have dedicated practice shorts, I use one loaded dummy round mag.

No eyes or ears.

Belt, Holster, shoes are all normal. If you wear cleats or match shoes of any kind don't overlook them. They are a big part of stance for me.

I have a set routine I do, then I recreate anything that gave me trouble at the last match.

Lately I've been tensing up on close targets, so I've added some of that to relax the trigger freeze a little.

SA