Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing- I've been doing it wrong

-JQ-

First off - I've only been shooting "action" pistol for about a year now and mostly in SS...so take this for what it is worth...

I have been doing some dry firing. I've been focusing on the draw and first shot mainly. (I suppose dryfiring a double action only/striker fired pistol is "better" than a single action as you can pull the trigger repeatedly - maybe for another thread?)

The thing I realized this past weekend is that I haven't been practicing with enough of the correct grip strength. I have been focusing on keeping the front sight from moving and that is good. But I haven't been driving the pistol like I should everytime.

I have been shooting SS .45 with full power WWB 230 ammo and that takes some "hang on" grip strength to get the second shot to come back in line quickly. When I really grab on I can get my second shot right behind the first. When "limping" the pistol or relaxing too much...well things don't work out as well.

So the few things I've noticed:

Drive it everytime (shooting or dry firing) - focus on the task at hand

Practice does NOT make perfect - Perfect practice makes perfect (high school band director quote)

And, I finally bought the Matt Burkett DVD series (should be here today :D )...sometimes I have to learn things the hard way first :surprise:

Oh and set up that reloader and get rid of that 200+ PF ammo.

Practice more

That's my $0.02

Actually, imho, the grip should be the same whether you are shooting some nasty factory load or not. The gun with flip more, but will come back with the proper grip. You are not going to prevent recoil, you need to ride it. It's kind of like having a good seat on a horse... you can either go with the horse and be in time with it, or you can tighten up and get bounced all over and end up with a sore ass.

Edited by JThompson

I'd suggest getting Steve Anderson's first book immediately if you haven't already.

Dry fire does have some limitations, but there's no way around that. If you teach yourself to get a good sight picture for each trigger press, whether dry fire or live ammo, you'll get rid of those second shot mikes (well mostly!) because no matter how high the front sight flips, you're watching it and waiting for an acceptable sight picture for the next shot. R,