Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

preferred minor and major loads for uspsa production class

mr renwick

i am going to start shooting uspsa in the production class in the very near future. what are your recommendations for good loads in the major and minor classes? i have a sig 229 with a 3.9 inch barrel. i have noticed a lot of people shoot the heavier 180gr bullet. what would be the advantage of shooting that instead of the lighter bullets at a higher velocity?

thanks for you time

i am going to start shooting uspsa in the production class in the very near future. what are your recommendations for good loads in the major and minor classes? i have a sig 229 with a 3.9 inch barrel. i have noticed a lot of people shoot the heavier 180gr bullet. what would be the advantage of shooting that instead of the lighter bullets at a higher velocity?

thanks for you time

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will get some interesting replys and there is a bunch of info in the reloading forums you should check out. I just want to point out that there is no major in production. All calibers are scored minor now matter how powerful. You may want to check out the production equipment details in http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf

Later,

Chuck

Another welcome to the forums!

A few questions, please, to clarify how to respond:

Do you reload?, and,

Will you be shooting more than Production?

By reloading you can tune a load to the gun you pick for competition, and searches here will give you a lot of recipes to choose from. If you're new to reloading, please go carefully.

All Production shooting is scored minor Power Factor (PF), so there isn't a need for a "major" PF load in that particular division. If, however, you are going to shoot in Limited or L10 division, then, with a .40 cal pistol, you can load "up" to major PF to avoid a scoring disadvantage, and "down" to minor in Production. BTW, you can only do this with 40 cal or larger in L and L10. 9mm can only be major in Open Division or Revolver.

Minor 40 is a pleasure to shoot, especially in the smaller/lighter guns. Major 40 kicks a bit more. A short barrelled gun may not wring all the PF out of a given load, a may need a hotter cartridge than a 5+ inch barrel to "make major".

Another welcome to the forums!

A few questions, please, to clarify how to respond:

Do you reload?, and,

Will you be shooting more than Production?

By reloading you can tune a load to the gun you pick for competition, and searches here will give you a lot of recipes to choose from. If you're new to reloading, please go carefully.

All Production shooting is scored minor Power Factor (PF), so there isn't a need for a "major" PF load in that particular division. If, however, you are going to shoot in Limited or L10 division, then, with a .40 cal pistol, you can load "up" to major PF to avoid a scoring disadvantage, and "down" to minor in Production. BTW, you can only do this with 40 cal or larger in L and L10. 9mm can only be major in Open Division or Revolver.

Minor 40 is a pleasure to shoot, especially in the smaller/lighter guns. Major 40 kicks a bit more. A short barrelled gun may not wring all the PF out of a given load, a may need a hotter cartridge than a 5+ inch barrel to "make major".

Thanks for the Welcome Guys

Yes i do reload i actually just started. a buddy of mine has been by my side coaching me through the basics. Truth be told i started reloading so i could shoot uspsa. My fun budget is not what i call plentiful so i have to make the most of the money.

i started shooting bowling pins not too long ago ( loved it ) and some of the guys there were talking about uspsa. they were like you haven't shot until you have shot uspsa. so i checked out the videos online and it looks like a blast so i am going to give it a shot. i am going to start in production being that i haven't been yet i am not all that sure what other classes i will try. Right now my firearms collection may help me pick what i can and cannot do. i have a sig 226,229,khar p45.

i want to get my rounds tuned in somewhat before i go. so any advice is welcome.

Dude, don't worry about getting your ammo tuned in. Just pick a safe recipe from a reloading manual and go shoot.

I wouldn't delay shooting in a match just because you might not be at exactly the correct power factor.

GO SHOOT!

Dude, don't worry about getting your ammo tuned in. Just pick a safe recipe from a reloading manual and go shoot.

I wouldn't delay shooting in a match just because you might not be at exactly the correct power factor.

GO SHOOT!

I am still raising funds to get ammo and i need to get some mag holsters as well. i have all the brass and powder i need but i still need the bullets. i cannot wait to go shot though. i have weaseled every possible dollar out of my budget to speed the going to shoot process. the one i wanted to go to ended up being this weekend. Sucks

I use WST behind lead, plated or jacketed bullets to provide velocities in the range of 725 to 800 fps. WST is a nice clean burning powder and provides excellent accuracy. Another good choice is American Select. I purchase either WST or American Select and use it in pistol and shotgun loads.