Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage for review

This is the first ever stage I post to get some feedback. I've only built stages on L1 club level in a club with less than 10 active members, and I thought I might learn something from posting my stages here :)

I use Google SketchUp to design my stages, because it gives a nice 3D look, shows more how I intend it to look when its finished and I can check for 90 and shoot-through's if my mind is with me when I play with the program.

All our walls on our range is 120x210cm's, so thats what I've used here. They are transparent so it will be easier to see what its suppose to be built like, but we use solid walls when we build.

The 29rds long course is comstock count, gun loaded and holstered, shooter standing on the X in center of the demarcated area with hands on the two walls besides the X. To sprayed X'es will be made on the walls when constructing, at shoulder level (150ish cm's high). Shoot targets as and when they become visible, from within the demarcated area. Small steel plates about 10m's out from the windows, popper some more meters back to avoid shoot through if shooter desides to lean around the L/H side wall to engage an extra paper and some steel from there.

Should I have made the fault line on the L/H side 90degrees out from the wall, instead of straight back to make it a lot harder to do this, as my main idea was that steel had to be shot from windows, and not just run past them blazing?

post-8835-1225907424_thumb.jpg

PM your mail adress if you need the full GSU file to play with.

Thanks, Jostein.

Looks pretty good.

I'd likely use slots instead of those windows in the middle two positions. Windows seems to give advantage/disadvantage, depending on the shooter's height. Leaving a slot...just gap two walls so they aren't butted together...gives one vertical "window" from ground to sky. (I like to brace them together at the top with a piece of wood (target stick) screwed between them for wall stability.)

Should I have made the fault line on the L/H side 90degrees out from the wall, instead of straight back to make it a lot harder to do this, as my main idea was that steel had to be shot from windows, and not just run past them blazing?

That would be an ease fix to do at setup...to take that steel away from that position. You also could angle that far left wall so that the left side is a bit more toward down range....and pull the fault line back a bit. Or, add a couple of stacked barrels so that you can't see the steel from there (our club has lots of barrels).

I am thinking that those two single paper targets in the middle...those will likely need to be placed closer to your two barrels...to the outside of them...to take them away the opposite positions (unless you want that option in there?). Or, are they forward enough that the angle of the middle V wall hides them?

Nice stage.

Ohhhhh....our local Match Director might like this on with his "Conrad Fault Lines" bordering the shooting area. (Where there are red sticks in the diagram...think sticks that are balanced on posts and can be knocked off, thus incurring a penalty like a cooper tunnel.) I'll have to point him here. :)

I'm glad you guys like it, and ofcourse, if you want to use it, by all means, do it :)

The two single targets are ment to be visible, to give an option. If shooting left to right as I would to avoid going back out of the low port, you could choose to shoot it on the way into the first port, or leave it as an easy entrance target in the second port, as opposed to going straight on the steel.

The stacked barrels was a great idea, as the more I look at it, the more I realize the stage will be ruined by allowing the steel to be shot from the far left hand. And I definately will go for penalty sticks on top, that was an excellent solution to add another challange to it.

PS: I upped it to the Google SketchUp model database, so you can get different views if you want to use it. Just search for IPSC stage or COF or similar.

I could see this going a bit more revolver friendly too (our local club gets some good revolver shooters). Getting there by pulling T5 & T8 (counting from the left), and one target from the right window (T12).

True, revo's weren't crossing my mind when it was made, as we don't have any wheelgunners in our club.

As for slots, forgot to comment on that earlier, our windows are mid wall placed and about 50 cm's high, so all shooters can use them. I've noticed when building with our high windows that some shooters won't make it up there as easy as I do without something to stand on, so I try to avoid high windows.