Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith to Improve Performance/Reliability of FN SLP Mk1?

DMAC

I just purhcased an FN SLP Mk1 22" barrel for tactical division of 3 gun.

Does anyone know of a reputable gunsmith to help improve the performance and reliability of this weapon?

I do plan to shoot it for a while to see what I like and dislike.

I have seen some posts here about some of the mods performed, I don't trust myself and prefer to have it done by a professional.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

If that is the same basic platform as the Winny SX2, then Jerry Harp is the first name that comes to mind. Depending on what you want done, I'm sure that someone like Benny Hill or Beven Grams might be able to help.

Are you actually having problems with the FN, or do you just want some go-fast cuts on it?

Actually, I have not even shot it yet. I am just wondering who can put some go-fast cuts and recommend and install a good sight. I do plan to shoot it first and I am just looking down the road a few months.

I would highly recommend contacting Nordic Components for extra add on parts.

- Get the +1 extention. Nice to have the option of putting nine in the tube rather than the factory eight. You can always remove the extention for matches that limit you to maximum of eight in the tube.

- Extended bolt release. Good to have a smith install if you don't have the proper tools. Makes slide lock reloads easier and faster.

- Extended charging handle. Nice to have but not really needed. Looks really cool.

- New follower. They are just starting to make a follower for this weapon. Very nice and really needed if you practice reloading a lot. I wore my factory plastic follower down in one season of reloading practice.

I took out my dreaded dremel and polished up some areas and ground down some others. Might be a good idea for a gunsmith to handle this if you are not comfortable.

The things I did was open the loading port up in the area facing the muzzle. It allowed me to not have to shove the shells in quite so far before hitting the shell catch. I also smoothed up the area where the shell goes into the magazine because there were some sharp areas there. I did not grind down the edges of the loading port very much because the shell lifter is already hanging down below the edges, all I did was gring the side that faces the left shoulder as you are holding the shotgun. I load weak hand with the shotgun held at the shoulder. This made for a little easier loading.

Final note, make sure you are using the red gas piston for shooting the shells we use in 3-gun. My instructions said the light piston was already installed in the gun, but it was the heavy one.

As for the sight. I left it as it is and it seems to work very well.

I didn't switch from the Benelli because of reliability issues, recoild issues, or the cool factor. It was more of a "feel" thing. This shotgun feels just right, making for more confidence in my shooting ability.

Good luck with your shotgun.

The FN runs pretty well right out of the box. I really don't see the need for any big mods other than an extended bolt handle. I took an end mill to my load gate and did some dremel work to the plastic forend to aid the weak hand load. It wasn't necessary but it helped. The FN has run every load that has been fed through it to include all the low dram handicap loads. Take it and shoot it. Briley makes the extended bolt handle and you may be able to find one of the Progressive Machine bolt release buttons.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll shoot it and see what I think it needs. It doesn't sound like I'll need to invest a large amount of $ into this shotgun to have fun and be competitive (at least from the capability of the weapon standpoint). :D

Edited by DMAC

Take a fine tooth file and smooth the forks on the end of the loading gate. They can have stamped edges that are quite sharp. I have heard rumors that if you stuff a shell in the tube under stress and pressure (for example during a match with the timer running), and your thumb goes too far in, the load gate will hang up on your thumb. If this happens PLEASE take the extra second to reach around with the other hand and free your thumb! If you try to snatch it out you will be sorry... or at least that is what I have heard...