Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Revolver Major Loads

WayneBullock

I have decided to gie this a try.  I have noticed in group-shooting, the trigger control required with a revolver has help my semi-auto shooting, so hopefully, additional skills can carry-over (but that's another thread I guess :).

1. Is there a prefered bullet/powder combo for major .357?  

2. If I use 158's, can I stay with lead, or are the velocities still too fast requiring a plated/jacketed bullet?

3. I assume faster powders are still appropriate, but what does anyone else use?

Thanks for the input.

WayneB.

I dont like lead bullets,too much cleaning required. I have been using hodgdon 4227 for my 50 ae loads.it doesnt seem to be a very popular powder,most use ww296 0r h110.I like it alot,very consistant loads.much smoother recoil than some ww 296 loads my buddy shoots.it was originally a rifle powder.If your looking for something new try some hodgdon 4227.

(Edited by 1badmagnum at 9:19 am on Nov. 29, 2002)

Wayne,

Since a .357 can easily make major with practically any combination, you have a lot of flexibility.  You can shoot 158gr lead as long as the projectile quality is pretty good.  Powders in the WW231 speed range should be fine. I would try to stay away from the slower range of powders that are commonly used for maximum velocity (296, H-110, 4227) since they create much more muzzle blast than is necessary at major power factor.  If you are attempting to build maximum velocity loads I agree with 1badmagnum that 296, H-110, 4227, and my personal favorite V V N-110, are the powders of choice.  

Leo

Wayne,

I have had good luck with the Rainier 158 gr Flat Point, behind a max charge of AA #5. The load can be found on Rainiers website. I have noticed that if velocities get above 1200 fps the copper plating will seperate and you get alot of spatter. The load I'm using for shooting pins runs about a 181 powerfactor and is very controllable.

Hope this helps,

Ray C.