Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Frame Kit Questions

vincent

I was looking at various "frame kit" options for a 2011 pistol. I see options for frame (with grip,trigger,mag release), frame and slide, and frame, slide and barrel (short block). The fitted slide and frame combo seems like a good deal with only about $35 for fitting over the individual parts prices. However the complete frame, slide and barrel kit includes almost $400 for fitting over the individual parts prices. Does this sound right? It seems to me that adding a barrel should only be about $100-150 over part cost for fitting. Does the short block kit incur the Federal Excise Tax (FET) and that is driving up the price? Or is setting up a frame, slide, and barrel combo just that much more work?

Example prices for some STI stuff:

Frame (+grip, trigger, mag release) $455

Slide $180

Barrel $200

Frame and slide combo $665

Frame, slide and barrel combo (+slide stop) $1285

Also does either STI or SVI sell just the frame itself without a grip for those wanting to build a pistol with a custom grip? I havent' seen one advertised.

Thanks,

-Vincent

I guess one thing that some people may really like about the "pre-fitted" kits is that STI slides and frames both come quite a bit over or undersized, depending. So if you just buy a slide and a frame, they aren't even close. So if you don't consider yourself quite proficient with the right type of files, the pre-fitted kits are def. the way to go.

If you know who your going to have build your gun I would ask them. Most smiths like them without but some like it with. Cost wize to have a smith cut the ramp will cost around twice as much as having it done at the factory. It all varies some smith to smith.