Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keith's Trip to ?

VegasOPM

First things first. Part of my overall plan in life is to improve- period. Every time I find myself getting complacent, I set a new goal- usually very general since I learned a long time ago that highly specific goals can be both discouraging and limiting. Let's say my goal is to make "A"- what happens when I get there, I've achieved my goal and I tend to slack off. If my goal is to make "GM" and I don't have the inherent ability, failure is the only outcome.

My last USPSA goal was to make "B" in Limited with a mostly stock Glock- after I made it I stopped competing for several years. I switched to the goal of 1. getting an MBA and 2. making a 4.0 (I only made 3.98).

That being said, it is time for me to form a plan to improve. I have been shooting at least 1 match per weekend and practicing live-fire at least once per week since August 17th. I have already made it back to "C" Production and learned some things along the way. I am lucky to be a member of two clubs with very solid shooters.

Here is what I have already learned that I need to do:

Watch the sights- even when you are being timed.

Call my shots- every time.

Don't look for the hits.

Practice shooting on the move.

Production is all about the "A"s.

Reload every time you move (of course this is killing my IDPA scores)

My stage strategy Kung Fu is weak.

LOSE WEIGHT.

Please give me feedback.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week ending 10/19 update.

I shot an IDPA match on Sunday, 10/12 and made 18th out of 50 (4th in SSP-SS). Decent numerically, but not where I should have been. I needed to shoot through the last 3 stages since I had to work early, and that kind of freaked me out. I had two procedurals and two mikes due to confusion from the RO's incorrect instructions, but I didn't have time to do a re-shoot as I had to get to work. Other than one hardcover "mike" (1/4" from the line) my hits were okay, but way to the left on the 25yd California Standards. Impacts to the left are a recurring theme since installing a new front sight (maybe the sight, maybe too much trigger finger). Slooooow though.

10/13- went to the range with 3 purposes in mind- check new loads for accuracy and recoil, check sights using bench and sandbags and work on long transitions (15' between targets- set at 10, 12 and 15 yds).

1. The new loads shot high in 124 gr and right on vertically at 15 yards.

2. The impacts were grouping very nicely- 4" to the left of the POA at 10 yds. Adjusted sight until the impacts were where I needed them to be.

3. I did a combination of 2-2-2- reload- 2-2-2 and 6-reload-6-reload-6 drills while watching the sights throughout. I interspersed those drills with head only shots.

250 rounds, 6- "D's", 15 "C's" and 2 "mikes" on headshots- 1 kissed the perf.

Next match plan- no "mikes", < 3 "D's" and shoot for points- not time.

10/17- Trip to range with one purpose- to show a friend how to shoot. I didn't get a lot of trigger time, but I brought another shooter into the fold. I pride myself on making someone's first trip to the range a positive experience. 20 minutes of safety lecture, basic marksmanship and dry practice followed by live fire. The first 2 rounds that my friend has ever fired from a handgun were within 1" of each other and 1/2" from the "A" on a USPSA target- granted it was at 3 yards. We worked back to 10 yards and they were staying in the "A" zone until he started getting tired and anticipating the recoil- "D"..."D"... "Stop". Move back up to 3 yards, take 5 deep breaths and take 10 shots at the upper "A" zone. Lower the pistol after every shot and take 2 deep breaths- the group tightened right back up and we stopped on a high note. He walked away feeling good about his abilities and handguns in general. Oh and I think that he is going to buy one of my guns too- an S&W 4046 TSW with nite sights.

My practice was limited to while he was loading mags and the end of the session- but I was able to get in 150 rounds or so. Today was about shooting while moving, forward, backwards and side to side- followed by 15rd Bill Drills. The hits while moving were pretty solid- knees bent, heel lands first, short steps and arms slightly bent. The Bill drills pointed out that I do much better with a solid grip by my weak hand. The groups were centered, but a little high. I was using the 124 gr rounds that printed high, so I'm chalking the grouping to that. When I hurry I either hit left or low and left- never high.

USPSA Match with Classifier tomorrow. I usually go into a match with a plan of what to focus on. I'm not sure what to do for tomorrow- maybe I'll just show up and shoot it. Most of my dry fire and live fire practice as of late has been to "see" the front sight and use that as my speedometer. I'm at the point where I can pretty much call my shots- or at least know if I didn't see the sights for the previous shot.

On the calling shots front, I'm really torn on where to go with that. I would say that 80% of the time that I call a bad shot and take a makeup shot, I am right. There is something heart warming to seeing 2 "A's" when I knew that I needed a makeup shot on the target. My issue comes when I don't remember seeing the sights at all on a target. Do I take 2 makeups? The last IDPA match I was slow and there were 3 targets with 4 rounds each on 2 different stages (one Vickers, one Limited Vickers so 2 procedurals and the -3 shots took precedence over the -0 ones :angry: )

I know that I have a pathological hatred of hitting no shoots and getting "mikes"- but how many makeup shots is too many? While "2 Alphas" feels great, hearing "Did you know that you shot this target 4 times?" is less endearing.

Well the match went okay. I got 18th out of 44 competitors. I won C Prod, and took 3rd in Prod overall. To be honest, I don't really worry about class or division- I just consider where I ended up as opposed to other shooters that I consider peers. Most of those guys are high "C" or "B" level shooters.

I shot a mid-40's on the classifier if the classifier calculator is correct- within 1% of my average. It was El Nuevo Presidente and I got a 4.9 hf. I shot the match slow but almost clean- there was one No shoot/ mike combo (1/4" inside the perf) that probably cost me 2 places in the match and "C's" and 3 "D's" on another stage that cost me 3 or 4 places. I called the no shoot as close, but in- wrong. The "D's" were one of those occasions that my sights were useless appendages for 3 targets in a row. I have been working on shooting for the "A" box, even when it is close to a hard cover for a while- but I have been giving the NS targets their space. I decided to shoot for "A's" even with an NS close, and I got bit.

I came to a realization in this match. I can shoot accurately or quickly, but I have a hard time shifting up or down during a stage. If the stage is all fast, I can go fast with pretty good hits. If it is a challenging stage, I can get my hits. The problem comes when I transition from 3yd full targets, to 15 yd partially covered targets or vice versa. I tend to pick a speed for the stage and stick with it- often the wrong speed for the stage. :wacko: My stage placements are also all over the place. This match I finished 10th, 13th, 15th, 22nd and 28th on the respective stages.

My practice today reaffirmed that paradigm. I think that I am going to do more near-far-near training setups. I am also working on how perfect the sight picture needs to be depending on target size and distance.

For today's practice I also dusted off the old L-10 gun. It is a custom built Springfield 1911, that I have had for 15 years. I ran times very similar between the G17 and the SA- but the SA makes major, so my hf's were higher. I am going take the SA to next Saturday's special Classifier match and see how it does.

Well this is going to be a good weekend. A USPSA special classifier match on Saturday and a Steel Challenge match on Sunday. The wife is out of town and I only have to work from 4pm until 8pm on Saturday (instead of 2-10 or 4-midnight), so I will have plenty of sleep and I don't have to hurry. The only drag is that I won't be able to practice tomorrow... I am going to try my hand at the L-10 gun at the classifier match, along with the Glock. I might switch back to the 1911 platform if it goes well- who knows? I am also torn as to whether to concentrate on classification or not. I'm starting to worry more about overall match finishes than class.

Why am I in a hurry to advance? I have only been back to competition for less than 3 months after a 5 or 6 year hiatus. Granted I left a Limited "B" and I am only a Prod "C" right now. "Give it a little time" I think, but that goes against my ambitious nature. When i get a goal in my head I work as hard as possible to get it done, but this time my goal is only to improve!?!

Another issue that is dragging me down, both literally and figuratively is my weight. I weigh 20# less than I did when I was shooting before, but I weigh 50 more than I was 4 years ago. I feel and move so much better when I am thinner, but food is my drug. I am trying to eat more fruits, veggies and I'm toying around with raw foods. One of my friends is big time into the raw food thing and he has been teaching/ making things for me. I do like the whole concept and the food, but I'd need to hire him to make the jump completely. :rolleyes:

I like this Diary concept and I am using it mainly to record my thoughts and breakthroughs. I do however, welcome feedback.

So I shot the classifier match this morning with both my Production Glock and my 1911. The 1911 is actually built to single stack specs, but I wanted to get classified in L-10 since I already have a couple of scores on the books. I haven't figured the hit factors yet, so I'm not sure exactly how I did. I felt better after the match than I have in a long time. I had one mike that barely missed the perf, and one flubbed reload cost me 2 seconds on one string. I also had a double feed on the 1911 which completely killed one stage and led to the mike- so that stage won't be part of my classification. One classifier had a 15 yd and a 10 yd string. 15 yd was 3 targets, 2 rounds each freestyle-reload-two rounds each strong hand only. 10 yd was the same thing only transition to weak hand after the reload. I ran fast and made good points, where most of the others had at least one mike and were much slower. I wasn't pushing at all, and I called every shot. That is what made this match different than the rest. It is the first time that I can remember calling EVERY shot and still going at a decent clip. I doubt that I will get out of "C" from this, but I'm betting that I will improve my percentage.

I shot the 1911 pretty well, almost all "A's" except for the stage where it choked- but I was much faster with the Glock. So much for changing back to 1911's; Production Glocks seem to be where I need to be.

Shot a Steel Challenge Match on Sunday. I was shooting with the fast guys and I held my own. My times weren't super fast, but they were consistent. I did really well on Smoke n Hope- mid 15 seconds for the best 4 runs. Considering that I am a "C" class shooter, shooting a mostly stock Glock 17 out of a concealment holster, I was happy. They haven't posted results yet, so I don't know where I finished.

It pointed out some of my confidence issues. I know that I see the sights, but I find myself "double checking" them just to make sure. When I turned off the double check filter, I was still able to make my hits- only much faster. Of course, that would open me up to not "really" seeing the sights and missing really fast. ^_^

When I was competing previously ('99-2002) I just kind of took it as it came. I would practice and shoot matches, but there was no real plan or structure to it. I improved, but never really made any breakthroughs. I was able to make it to "B" Limited and would have some fantastic stages, but I never really knew what I was doing right or wrong.

This go round, I have decided to actually study and do homework, as well as "just shooting". I think that going back to school to get my Master's changed how I pursue goals. I try to have a plan and really explore my performance.

My latest challenge is to avoid the equipment race. I get it in my head that "if I only had _____, I would be faster and more accurate". I laughed at my Dad's Golfing psychosis for years, and now I seem to be catching it. Every time he had a bad round, he would buy a new driver or a putter- thinking that the club was the reason that his performance wasn't up to snuff. I find myself trying to fix my issues with gadgets. I have been known to yank the trigger. While a 2# trigger may release before I am out of the "A" zone, it still doesn't fix MY problem- it only masks it. I need to spend money on practice ammo, training and knowledge- not new sights or a trigger job. When the gun is truly holding me back, that is when it needs to be upgraded- suffice to say that I'm not there yet.

I figured my average from the Classifier match on Saturday. I will be a low "C" shooter in L-10. I bonked 2 stages in L-10, so they pulled my average down to 42%. I feel that I am a "C" shooter right now, so I am happy with the result.

My Production score improved to 50% from 45%- even though a 79% score was taken off my scores due to the fact that it isn't in the last 8 scores.

My percentages for prodcution in this match were 45.3%, 55.1%, 41.5%, 62% and 21.7%.

I wanted to get to "B" by the end of the year- but that isn't likely. I'm now hoping to stay in "C" and shoot a major match before making it to "B" in Production. Two of the guys that I usually squad with are "A" shooters with percentages nearing "M" status. When I am on, I can stick with them or beat them. They tend to be more consistent than I am and they can push more. The reason I say this is because I am pretty sure that with some time and practice I can compete at their level.

I have been considering getting back into Limited, but I don't know. Production is a lot of fun and there seems to be more strategy involved with the extra reloads and minor PF. Worst case, I will get back into Limited in the habit of shooting "A's".

Short practice today. Again, I was focusing more on a new shooter than myself. What shooting that I did do was done on a reduced NRA target at 7 yds- taped over a shot out IPSC classic target. The funny thing is, even with the much smaller target, my times were the same and my hits were better. I was still able to stay in the center of a target that is roughly the size of the "C" zone of an IPSC target. Even my outermost hits were within the "A" zone. I have to wonder about how much time and accuracy are being lost trying to decide on the center of an IPSC target.

Shot another USPSA match yesterday. I decided to push faster and see what happens. I know that goes against a lot of shooters out there, but I need to get faster. One of my mentors is a student of Taran Butler and another one is a student of Mike Voight. Two different styles that I am trying to figure out which suits me better.

I realized that my speedometer is getting better, but still isn't infallible. I was able to keep up with the "A" level shooters for the match and most of my hits were still really good. I did pull 3 "mikes" for the match though- which really bothered me. I knew why I got the misses. On one stage I was transitioning from short "hoser" targets to longer distance targets and didn't "reset" my sight picture until the 3rd of 4 targets. D-M, D-M, A-A, A-C.... I guess that both of those sights are there for a reason. The other "mike" was on a relatively close head shot target (7 yds or so). I didn't love the shot that I called, but I let it slide since a makeup would have really messed up my reload strategy. All three mikes were on high point stages (1 on 220pt and 2 on 165pt) so there were points to absorb the penalties. I was also playing with the striker spring the night before and I got burned. I installed a 4# striker spring and started getting light hits. I was using Fiocchi ammo, which has really hard primers. Back to the 6# factory spring.

When I left the sport last time, I was pretty good- but I didn't know why. I would be fantastic on some stages and completely fall apart on others. Upon reflection, I was using my index instead of my sights. At the time I was shooting 50,000+ rounds per year- so muscle memory was making up for a lack of aiming. The problem is that burning 50K rounds per year just to maintain "B" status is a pretty lousy investment. The good news is that the mag changes, malf drills and general gunhandling that shooting that much brings have stuck with me. My stock Glock mag changes consistently stay around 1.3 seconds and I rarely fail to fully seat a mag ( one time in the last 15 matches). My "tap-rack" drills are automatic and usually cleared in less than 1 second. Although this match I had one where my hand trapped the ejected round- so I had to clear it twice.

This time I am focusing more on the fundamentals and really working on the mental part of the game. I find that I am improving very quickly, but I know that isn't going to be the case forever. My next improvement plan is to have my buddy start videotaping my match performances. He is working hard to break out of Limited "B" so he and I are pushing each other to improve.

The scores are in from yesterday's USPSA match. I was 16 out of 42 overall. The 3 mikes cost me 3 or 4 places to be sure. Considering that I did 12th overall on a stage where I had a mike, and had the 4th highest points on that stage- I really could have done well. I took 2nd in Production out of 13 shooters. The guy that beat me is a high "A" and will probably be "M" within another classifier or two. This match drove home that speed does count for something.

Now it is a function of putting together a whole match worth of good stages. In this match I took 10, 12, 15, 25 and 27 on the different stages. I'm still all over the place, but my placement keeps improving, so I feel okay about it.

I also have a habit of botching the first stage in a match. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that.

New update on my Range Diary. Actually it had nothing to do with shooting, but it was a wake up call. I went to the doctor's office for mid back pain. Just to rule out anything heart related, they ran an EKG. Something came up that looked pretty scary so they sent me straight to the ER. Well after 30 hours in the hospital, I'm glad to say that there was nothing wrong, but with all Cardiac issues, they don't mess around.

I had plenty of time to sit and think about what I can do to avoid this happening again. Basically, I nned to eat better and exercise more. The good news as far as my shooting is concerned, that can't hurt. Less mass to move around will help to speed me up on the field stages.

Well I shot my first 3 gun match in 5 years, just 2 days after the hospital adventure and learned quite a bit. My AR is leaking gas too bad to cycle consistently, so I had to borrow one from a friend. The sights were off just enough that I couldn't hit the 4" clay bird targets at 35 yds (clay birds for rifles?!?). I burned through an entire mag and only hit one of six targets. :angry: My shotgun didn't cycle with the ammo that I brought, and it didn't want to cycle even with the high brass stuff that my friend shoots. Apparently I hadn't lubricated it very well before storing it in 2002- plus the O-ring was dried out and didn't seal well. So my tricked out 1100 was a really inefficient pump. My body hadn't recovered completely from the time in the hospital, so I had very little energy and still hadn't rehydrated completely.

When it came to the pistol stages, I was so frustrated that I don't think that I ever saw my sights. Thankfully the targets were all close enough that I made decent enough hits to "neutralize" (1 "A" or 2 "C" hits). By the end of the match, I was dehydrated, exhausted and generally pi**ed off at myself. The only saving grace was the last rifle stage. I borrowed a different rifle and decided that I was only going to take 1 shot at each target- so I had better make them "A" zone hits. It worked and I made 18 "A's" quicker than most of the other shooters could make 36 "whatevers".

I didn't even open the match results and wrote the match off as a learning experience.

1. Sight in the rifle I will shoot myself with my ammo.

2. Get my rifle fixed (done).

3. Check functioning of a firearm prior to a match if it is new or hasn't been used in a while. Clean and lube too.

4. Look at sights even when bad things happen.

5. If I don't feel 100%, it is okay to take a match off. Hydrate and eat enough to maintain energy throughout the match.

Oh, and I lost 5 lbs this week.

Edited by VegasOPM

USPSA match with 2 classifiers tomorrow. One is El Prez, the other is Fast n' Furious. I didn't know anyone actually did El Prez anymore for classifications- too many "El Prez GM's" practicing that every session. Oh well, not me... I can't even remember the last time I shot El Prez. I'm 9 percentage points from "B" right now- although I'm carrying two 41% classifers on my 51% avg. Most of my latest classifiers have been high 50's to low 60's, so I think that is probably the real number.

I spent most of my dry fire session yesterday working on my draw to first shot, and then on reloads. I need to get a Par timer soon.

The El Prez classifier didn't happen, but I pulled 60.2% on Fast n Furious- if the classifier calculator I use is correct. The best part was that I bobbled the reload and it felt sloooow. I consider that good because I know what to do to go faster. My average is up at 53%, but I have 4 classifiers in the high 50's to low 60's- so I think that I should make it to "B" by March or so.

This match was interesting, I got 4 mikes and still had the same type of match placement that I normally get 17/46. 2nd overall in Production, 1st in "C" Production. I completely flubbed one stage with 3 mikes, but my time and other hits were high enough that I placed 22nd overall. I had someone video me for the first time- what an eye opener! I can sit and look at what I did right and wrong over and over. I also watched my movement- decent, but damn I look big on video! :( My plan to drop 40 lbs should make me a LOT quicker.

The guy that videoed me was Ray Witham, who is a high "M" class shooter and my new shooting coach. He also won the 2008 American Handgunner Shootoff and placed top 50 at the World Shoot. We spent 3 hours at the range yesterday and he pointed out some minor things that can translate out to much better scores.

Grip- I have been working on the 70% weak hand grip for a while, but it still needs work. Recoil control is good, but can still improve.

Accuracy- My accuracy is good- as long as I look at my sights. I need better sights to aid with the distant stuff- I'll be ordering the Warren Tactical Sevigny sights this week. I also need to practice at distance- not just at reduced size targets. Point of impact shifts at 35-50 yds and the "cone of fire" opens up.

Stance- My stance is good, and my transitions come from my hips and legs- not my upper body.

Reloads- This is where I can make up tons of time. I have been bringing my gun to the mag and doing my reloads at belly button level. I need to start bring my gun up to eye level when I reload. Same with moving between stages. I drop my gun to "low, close ready" and bring it back up to shoot. There is no benefit to ever bringing the gun down if it will need to come back up before it goes into the holster.

In addition to the shooting training, I have started going back to the gym to work on cardio. I am still lifting weights at home- but that isn't enough. 15 minutes of step climber, followed by 40 minutes punching the heavy bag today. I need to start out by getting my cardio back- then I will work on explosiveness drills. The heavy bag work helps my hand speed and support muscle strength in my arms. Keeping my hands up to protect my face will help train myself to keep my hands up during reloads.

Edited by VegasOPM

If you are serious about shooting, I would take a class from a super GM

like Eric Grauffel. He has one in Florida on January. I wish I would have

taken his class sooner when I started this sport. I 'm now going backwards

and starting my skills all over again..wasted 6 years of shooting.

Yeah, our club is trying to get Travis Tomasie or Max Michel, Jr out to do a class. Right now I don't have the time to travel very far to take a class from one of the best- but it is on my to-do list. My concern is that waiting for "X" to happen means that I will never get down to doing the work necessary to break the inertia.

Shot a USPSA match today with a classifier 99-33 "Raw Deal". I can't say why, and I haven't seen the scores yet, but I felt like it was a breakthrough match for me. Things just went well, I saw my sights for every shot (except on a mike). Mag changes were good to very good (all of them were at eye level, so I guess the dry fire this week worked). I didn't have any brain farts, and my strategy was solid. The whole match flowed better than any that I ever remember. Usually I bomb a stage or two and superman a stage or two. All of these stages were smooth and relatively fast. I'll wait for the scores to really see if my confidence is legit or not.

If I remembered my time correctly, I think I shot a 70% plus on the classifier. That puts me at 58%, since that kicks off a 41% classifier. I have one more 45% classifier to kill off. If I get a 58% or above on the next classifier, I will be in "B" for Production- WAY before my March date. The rest of the match went really well- other than 1 mike. It might well have been a double ( I called it an "A")- since it tore a piece of tape off and there was a pretty big hole. I was RO for my squad and I didn't like the idea of calling my own questionable hit- so I left it a mike. Other than that, 104 rounds for the match 84 "A's", 2 "B's" and 17 "C's"- no "D's" at all. I think that even with the mike, I'll do okay. 90% of the available points for the match. My times were pretty solid too, I was a few seconds behind one of our better shooters and my hits were better than his.

I have been playing with the idea of going back to Limited when I made it to "B" in production. I figure that I would be able to go back to Limited getting better hits and with really solid mag changes. I have a Limited Glock, so the platform is the same- just with a magwell, 20 round mags and extended mag release. The gamer in me says to go into L-10 for the next major match. I've already reset my strategy for 10 rounds and I'm classed as a "C" there.... that prize table is a tempting mistress.

I am at a point in my shooting where I feel pretty good about where I am, but I am getting glimpses of what I need to do to get much better.

Edited by VegasOPM

If you truly want to get better overall, work on the fundamentals and quit worrying about what your percentages are on the classifiers you shoot.

I try to work on the fundamentals religiously. The classifier scores are an indicator of whether my practice is effective or not.

I have found that monitoring my performance helps me gauge my growth over time. I do need to remember that speed will come when I apply the fundamentals more effectively and rapidly.

Edited by VegasOPM

I shot a Steel Challenge match today and continued my "breakthrough" feeling. My times were pretty quick and consistent. I remember seeing the sights on every shot- even though my sight picture was not as refined as it should have been at times (thus some make-up shots). No penalties and no more than one lousy string per stage (thank doG for "throw away strings"). My transitions were coming through my legs and I was tracking the sights through recoil on targets that were close together- while "flicking" my eyes to the next target and bringing the sights to the target on far-spaced targets. My biggest challenge was trusting my sights. The front sight on my Glock is a Tru-Glo fiber optic and it keeps loosening up. When that happens, it flips back and forth and my POI changes. I have tried to fix it several times, to no avail- so I put in an order for some Warren Tactical Sevigny sights and I'm taking them to a gunsmith for installation. I need to be able to trust my sights to impact where I put them.

I am starting to truly take to heart the phrases "you can only shoot as fast as you see" and "see what you need to see".

Well my feeling was not unwarranted. I did have two of the best match finishes since I got back to shooting. 12th out of 30 for the USPSA and 9th of 28 (and I won Production) for the Steel match. The club where I shot the USPSA match has a lot of really strong shooters- so I am very happy with that finish.

I went ahead and installed the Warren Tactical sights myself- using permanent loc-tite and a sight tool (much slicker than needle nose pliers). I spent 45 minutes today dry firing. I worked on presentations to first shot, transitions between targets, reloads (up at eye level please...) and big target to small target transitions. I think that I'm going to like the new sights.

Thanks to everyone that has posted reduced size targets. I have them taped up all over the walls in my gun room.

I just realized that my digital camera has a movie function- DOH! Time to start having someone video me in action for every match. I underestimated how much I could learn by seeing what I was doing from an objective point of view.