Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Mag Tubes

Garrett

Okay, I tried doing a search but came up with nothing.

I need a mag extension for my open Rem 1100 to bring the total rounds in the gun to 11. I currently have a Choate extension that holds 8+1. Looking on the Brownells website the largest Choate tube is listed as +5. I believe that would only bring the gun to 9+1. They also list a +5 from TacStar. (Anyone else notice how unhelpful the "Search" feature on the Brownells website is? I usually get frustrated and just pull out the book.)

Where can I get a true 10+1 mag extension for an 1100?

I have a 11-87 with the Choate +5 on it. With the proper ammo choice (Fiocci is the shortest by 1/10" over most, and almost 1/8" over some) and some judicious trimming of the spring, I have achieved 10 +1 for my open gun. The follower doesn't bear on this issue as the spring stacks up before the follower bottoms out. I also took the end cap out of the tube and thinned it to get a hair more there too. In the end I got there through a combination of small gains and short ammo. The last round is a hard push in, but function is 100%. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Garrett,

Is your Choate extension the one that just over streaches a 26' barrel, if so it will easily take 11+ 1 65mm shells. I understand Gamebore manufacture in the US as Kent Cartridges, and they make an excellent 65mm 32 Gramme No. 5 shot case in either felt or plastic wad, that any Remmy will love and is great for 3 gun. They also do 7's in that length if you prefer a smaller shot.

By cleverly cutting the spring to ease the length and getting the right shell length it will work fine. In the UK we have a few gunsmiths that make long mag extensions but the norm on Remmy's is Choate + 5's that will take 11 shells in all.

good luck

Mike

Good news. The UPS man just dropped off my new Choate 10 rd. mag extension. I pulled my 9 rd. extension (8+1) off of my shotgun and compared the springs. The 9 rd. spring was maybe only 1" shorter than the 10 rd. spring (this is with the springs uncompressed and just hanging by one end). I put the 9 rd. spring in the 10 rd. tube and was able to easily get 10+1 rounds of Winchester ammo in the gun. The last round still cycles in fine by hand. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot a few rounds through it to test it out for sure.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses.