Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one shooting the M&P 40?

boba

Hello everyone. I am looking at a slightly used M&P 40 to use in USPSA. I really like the feel of this in my hand and the trigger pull seems really nice compared to my S&W model 59 9mm that I have been shooting this summer. I have been shooting lead only and hope to hear from others with this gun that are also shooting lead. I have a Kimber II 45 that just hates any kind of lead bullet. The SW 59 shoots anything I feed it so I am hoping I will hear the same about the M&P 40. Any feed back (loads, problems etc.) will be appreciated.

TIA

Bob - I've got one I bought new last December and have about 3k rounds through it so far. I'm really pleased with it. It handles lead fine, though you may need to seat the bullets a little deeper than usual due to a tight throat (this varies among guns). I've shot lead, coated lead, plated (at ~1200 fps) and jacketed through it with no problems. It hasn't jammed yet, and I don't expect it to anytime soon.

Bob - I've got one I bought new last December and have about 3k rounds through it so far. I'm really pleased with it. It handles lead fine, though you may need to seat the bullets a little deeper than usual due to a tight throat (this varies among guns). I've shot lead, coated lead, plated (at ~1200 fps) and jacketed through it with no problems. It hasn't jammed yet, and I don't expect it to anytime soon.

revchuck, thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be placing and order with Dillion to get set up to load .40 now :cheers: . A friend of mine has some 180 grain Precision Cast bullets that we are going to try to run through it. If they do then I can get them locally. I have some Universal Clays on hand and found a load for the 180gr :cheers: .

This sport sure is addicting. Up until last April the only pistol I had was a S&W 38 special that had been loaded with the same ammo for the last 10 years. I keep it in the night stand for home defense. Since April I have acquired a Ruger MarkIII, S&W Model 59 9mm, Kimber II 45, Dillion 650 and soon the M&P 40. Also I am planning on attending a RO class in November so I can give back to the sport.

Edited by boba

DOn't they have some rebate thing going on now where you can get free mags or something???

JThompson, The dealer I found my used one at said that was over. They have extra factory mags instock at the price of $39.00 each. It comes with 2 and I plan on getting 2 more when I purchase the pistol. This will give me 4 total for the next USPSA match next Sunday. I believe I can get by with 4 because the round count for the stages are low.

My M&P .40 is the most reliable pistol I own...not picky about ammo, cleanliness, etc. You can get quite a few things to customize it from Speed Shooter Specialties, and their 'smith Pedro kicks out an excellent trigger along with the excellent customer service there. Nice sights, triggers, magwells, and everything else you'll need is there. It is a great pistol to run in Limited and Limited 10 IMO. Good luck, and search around, there's tons of info here.

My M&P .40 is the most reliable pistol I own...not picky about ammo, cleanliness, etc. You can get quite a few things to customize it from Speed Shooter Specialties, and their 'smith Pedro kicks out an excellent trigger along with the excellent customer service there. Nice sights, triggers, magwells, and everything else you'll need is there. It is a great pistol to run in Limited and Limited 10 IMO. Good luck, and search around, there's tons of info here.

Thanks for the input and link Chris, I like the idea of being able to add the magwell. Shooting the 59 had pretty limited options.