Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel Question For Esc 2003

TRAIN TRANSFERS

Skywalker:

For most ESC competitors coming from overseas, their first stop into Italy would be Rome's Fiumicino Airport (FCO).

Could you please walk us through the process of train travel from FCO to Terni. If I understand it correctly, one would have to transfer trains in Rome Termini, then onwards to Terni Station. How easy or difficult is the transfer from FCO to Terni?

With most guys hauling luggage and shotguns, I'm sure many would be interested to know how much ground needs to be covered when moving from platform to platform.

Thanks for your advise.

Hi Orimar and all interested in this topic,

main informations on this topic can be found in ESC 2003 website, but to be more specific, here you are my answers:

Exiting from the Leonardo da Vinci arrivals terminal, right near the car rental facilities (thus inside the airport area), there is a railway connection to Rome's central railway station: the transfer can be performed easily via one of the luggage carts available anywhere inside the airport.

The train transfer to Rome should take approx no more than 30/35' and it is available every 30'.

Once you get to Rome railway station (the train from airport will stop inside the railway station) you only have to look for the platform of your train to Terni and hop on it.

If you need Terni maps from railway station to your hotel, I will be glad to provide them, just email me and I'll send you the maps.

Thanks for the info Skywalker. :D

I assume that there are luggage carts available at the Rome Termini station, right? I keep reading in travel articles that the distance between transfers can be quite a hike. Is this true?

My twin brother in Hong Kong has perennial back pains (from an old rugby injury he says) and any movement on foot that's close to a short hike may discourage him from taking the train.

I assume there should be carts in Rome's railway station, but since I moved from Rome to my actual location about 18 years ago, my info could be slightly outdated.

The transfer from a railway platform to another shouldn't be so long, I wouldn't consider it an issue.

Darth actually walks? :blink:

I thought he just levitated the jedi's way! B)

[Darth actually walks?

I thought he just levitated the jedi's way!]

Yes, Darth actually walks (he can even do a mean cha-cha, but don't tell him I told you) and breathes (with a noticable wheeze- it gets smoggy in HK), and he can even do both at the same time! :D

Actually, we're debating on whether to pick up the rental car at Fiumicino or in Terni and this is why I asked the train question. Is the ESC Committee making any arrangements with a rental agency?

I'm waiting for the lazy esc2003 webmaster to publish the car rental facilities update. :angry:

Anyway, for everybody that might be interested, we have concluded a deal with HERTZ car rental.

They will apply discounted car rental fares to ESC competitors/attendants/staff etc.: you just have to email the ESC organization factotum (a.k.a. me) at info@esc2003.it to get the PIN code that entitles you the discount, and then directly contact HERTZ with this code.

My best guess, just to avoid driving through or around Rome (nothing that a driver accustomed to Manila or HK should be scared of B) ), is taking the train to Terni, and there rent a car for (maybe) nice sightseeing of Umbria.