Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Newbie

aikijoe12

Just bought my first reloading machine from Dillon, and now came across so many sites to order: powders, primers, bullets, and brass--montana gold, powder valley, precision bullets, roze dist, dillon, precision delta, wiedeners, dillon, scharch, and brassman. Anything else you guys used? I just saw Black bullets International here.

I will be loading 9mm in 124gr or 147gr and 45 cal in 185gr or 200gr. For powder, I think I will be using Universal Clays (seem to be very good and quite popular from all the post I read). For bullets, well, you have hornaday, zero, precision bullets, montana gold, precision delta, etc..... Is one better than the other or more preference wise?

From a cost standpoint, it seem that Precision bullets are the least expensive. Any feedback/ problems with these moly coated/ black bullets?

Can you guys also recommend which primers to use--winchester, federal, or wolf--small pistol or small rifle? So many choices, getting crazy in here. Just wanted to make sure I don't blow up my house......

Thanks in advance for all your recommendations, inputs, etc.....

Everything you mentioned will most likely work just fine. Everyone has their preferences but as long as you stick with a reputable manufacturer, you shouldn't run into any issues.

I would suggest going with a jacketed bullet though as it seems like you're just starting out. They're probably a little more forgiving of crimp issues.

Welcome to the finest shooting forum in the world.

Next purchase needs to be a great manual like Speer #14.

Take a day and research the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP sub-forums. Invaluable.

Enjoy. Be Safe!

Jim

I would reccomend you purchase two different manuals, Speer is an excellent choice, as is Lyman

or several others. Your local gun shop should have some free pamphlets published by reloading component

manufacturers, pick them up, and READ them. Pay close attention and load in small batches at first. Keep a log

of your loads and take it to the range and write down your observations. These forums can be a huge help.

Good luck!

B