Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Motorcycle repair questions

I have fixed all the mechanical problems resulting from my recent encounter with the assphault, but there is still the problem of the tank. I know what I'm going to do repair wise, but in an effort to reduce the likely hood of having an encounter with the local Fire Fighters I am trying to figure out how to keep the gas vapor in the tank from lighting me up whilst I work on the tank. My thoughts were to drain all the fuel out, then let it sit out exposed to the sun for a few hours... black tank so it should evaporate any residual gas in the tank. Then drop a few chunks of dry ice in the tank, close the filler cap and let the ice sublimate and dispalce any remaining fuel vapors in the tank. If the tank in full or CO2 it's can't ignite.

Now I know that since I thought up this idea and it sounds great to me that there are some major flaws with it, so before I kill myself and my lovely home please tell me where I am going wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks

Tony

BTW gonna repaint it black with an orange/copper stripe down the tank and front fender. Should look relativally nice when I am done.

Huh ? I'm with the airhose also, till its completely dry !!

This calls for a story sharing time. I'm in the automotive business and being in the business for years I have

seen and heard alot of good stories.

So theres this fuel tank contamination recall right and most all the

techs quickley figure out a fast way to shortcut the recall proceedure by cleaning out the tank in the vehicle

and replacing all the nessasary filters and components. Now theres always one guy that reads it wrong and

takes the tank out for a good steam cleaning. :surprise: So he takes it, drained of all liquids, to the steamer room,

a one car garage size "hole" with only an opening at one end. Now the vigirous steaming begins, note- the steamer

is heated to very high temps by a pilot light and guess what else, a very large gas burner. :blink: I heard that the

fireball that came out of that room was Hollywood spectacular !! He was ok, stumbled out with no eyebrows !!! :roflol:

The chemist at the plant I work at says to triple rinse it well with water then dry it with sunshine and forced air.

If you do decide to use dry ice, be sure not to seal the tank..... it will explode due to the expansion of the gas.

fwiw

dj