Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

training question

colbyjack

when you guys make a training section in the basement on the wall for dryfire. do you just hang regular scaled down targets? or do you tape them on like a poster board and try to recreate el prez or another stage. was thinking if itd help to tape them to poster board and save for later. so i could do like a 5 stage dry fire drill. post them on green poster board to look like grass, then do the targets/no shoots/hard cover and maybe some scaled down poppers and plates. could make like a 32 round stage and practice the whole thing... but have no clue. please give me some insight on how you guys practice dry fire. thanks -chris

All of the above, except the green board for grass. :D

Frankly, other than when working on gun presentations I rarely use any targets. I like really small things (light switches, corners of pictures, etc.) that require a wide transition.

In th end, it's what you're most comfortable with. That said, I do love reduced scale targets and poppers.

Rich

If you have time, check out my range diary. There is TONS of stuff there about my evolution of dryfire practice which accounts for the majority of my practice. You can make your own targets by Google searching USPSA Target, printing out one as a template, then using said template to create your own scaled-down sea of brown.

In addition to using 1/4 sized targets, each target has two white pasters in the center of the A zone. When I dryfire, that is what I aim for. I created various arrays that I stapled to boards and use them to create whatever stages that test what additional skills I am working on that day in addition to my basic drills.

That is similar to what I have been thinking about. My current plan is to attach some strings to the rafters at various places and hang the targets from them. I'm thinking of cutting out some 1/3 scale cardboard targets so they will look more "realistic" than white paper and will be less likely to flutter from any breeze.