Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

to magnum prime or not? (rifle reloading question)

gingerbreadman

Hello, i was wondering if someone could explain to me how and when a magnum primer is benafical over a normal primer.....

I have reloaded thousands of rounds for my .270 with great success and always used federal large rifle primers, i have recantly loaded many many successful loads for my 300 ultra mag with federal magnum large rifle primers...... i am now working on finding a load for my 30.06 and im unshure what primers i should use, iv looked in many reloading manuels and get condradicting suggestions, i could use your oppinions on what primer to use.......

please enlighten me on how a primer works.....

thanks guys.....

-josh

Hello, i was wondering if someone could explain to me how and when a magnum primer is benafical over a normal primer.....

I have reloaded thousands of rounds for my .270 with great success and always used federal large rifle primers, i have recantly loaded many many successful loads for my 300 ultra mag with federal magnum large rifle primers...... i am now working on finding a load for my 30.06 and im unshure what primers i should use, iv looked in many reloading manuels and get condradicting suggestions, i could use your oppinions on what primer to use.......

please enlighten me on how a primer works.....

thanks guys.....

-josh

You use a magnum primer when you've got a large case full of slow-burning powder.  Or, when you find that an otherwise in-the-normal-range load shoots more accurately with magnum than standard.

In .30-06 there probably is no need for magnum primers.  In .300 WSM you might end up using them exclusively.

If it was cut and dried, the loading manuals would be simpler.

gingerbreadman here is my rule of thumb on primers.

If the load call for over 60 grs. of powder I use magnum primers.

If the load calls for a ball powder such as Winchester or Hodgdon then I use a magnum primer.

The reason for it is, ball powders are harder to ignite, and burn cleanly according to Winchester and Hodgdon.  So they recommend a magnum primer.  For years Winchester never made a primer designated as a "magnum primer".  Because their primers we made to ignite large amounts of ball powder.

Well anyway as I said this is my rule of thumb on primers.

Good luck.

Consider, too, that large pistol primers are useful with reduced rifle loads (cast bullet loads) to reduce case set-back (and possibly enhace accuracy.)  Large pistol primers seat deeper and a more suceptible to pressure, having a softer cup.

Thanks guys, I figured as much.....

im gonna use standard primers for my usuall loads 4064,varget etc.. but i have a whole pile of surplus army powder the equvilant to h1000 so i think ill use a magnum primer since its a ball powder.......for anyone watching from behind the scenes the guys at the gun shop said the same thing as these guys

-gbm-

If you are loading Powders that sre slower than Hodgdon or IMR 4350 or the equivalent then a Magnum Primer is best. With your 270, if you were using 4831 or similar you probably were not getting the best the rifle can give. But you might have been lucky.

The Magnum Primer was invented by I think Federal for guys like Roy Weatherby to use for enormous amounts of slow burning powders in magnum rifles, belted or otherwise.

I find with larger loads of 4350 in my 338 I have to use the magnum primer to get the best. It is just easier. If you switch to the Magnum you must back your load off about 5% and work up from there.

(Edited by gm iprod at 12:44 am on Dec. 13, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Mag rifle primers are usually used for large amounts of powder or certain ball types. As a general rule-of-thumb I don't use mag primers unless working with a true short mag or bigger case. You certainly don't need them for the type or amount of fuel that any .270 or '06 load would require.

Magnum rifle primers were specifically designed for slow burning powders. Regardless of the quantity, however they are usually used in large quantities.

If you run 4831 or similar in 270 or 3006 you should use the magnum primers. You will get a more consistant and complete burn. This will result in better accuracy and more velocity at more controlable max pressures.

The best load (but not the fastest) I have ever used in 270 was 130gr Sierra Gameking, 60grains H4831 with a federal GM215M primer = 3015fps in a 24".

Fastest was 60grains Reloder 22, same as above except 3125fps. Slightly larger groups but devastating on deer out to 300M.

The 3006 works best with powder in the Varget to 4350 burn rate and a Magnum primer is not needed. With the larger bore diameter the faster powders do not generate pressure the same way. Less aggressive in the peak chamber pressure. So you get quite high velocities with medium (150gr-180gr) projectiles. I am a huge fan of the 165gr Nosler Partition for anything with antlers. At just over 2900 fps they will shoot nearly as flat as the 270 and hit harder.

You use magnum primers where needed (slow burners), and std primers at all other times.