Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stove Pipe Jams

TBeazlie

i'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I tried a search and did not get any hits. I'm making the move to open and bought a sti competitor from Dawson. The gun was set up for 38 super, but in my ignorance I bought 38 super comp brass. Lots of double feeds, empty case on top, as well as stovepipe jams with the case stuck out about 90 degrees to the right. I put in an afteck extractor without any modification. Only problem was I lost the cap which retains the springs. Lost the springs too, but I found them after crawling aroud on my garage floor with a flashlight for an hour or so. Of course i already had extra springs, but I never had found the cap....go figure. Anyway got a new cap and got the extraxtor in the gun. Now no more double feeds, but still the stove pipes every 10 to 20 rounds or so. These loads just make major. Any thoughts? Is this an extractor problem, an ejector problem or something else. I have about 500 rounds through the gun. No shock buff and whatever recoil spring that came with the gun. Thanks in advance.

Are there scratches & tracks in the bottom of your scope mount?? That's a common cause of stovepipes for guys with C-More on a flatbed mount. We file them out of the mount before a match.

Don't know much about the Dawson gun or shooting supercomp brass in a super. Could be as simple as load is too lite or recoil spring is too heavy.

dvc - eric - a28026

My open gun had occasional stovepipes until I went down to a 7 lb recoil spring. No more problems.

I suspect these guns (especially mine) are built to be shot at higher (maybe much higher) than 165 power factor.

Try a lighter recoil spring...

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all. I tried a 7 pound spring and only have an occaional jam now, and it does not seem to matter which brass i use now -38 super, comp, TJ-all with the original extractor set up fo 38 super. Will try a slightly hotter load which i hope will take care of the problem altogether.

if you are going to use supercomp or tj brass(especially tj) you need the aftec for supercomp brass. if you put in an aftec for regular super it will not hold tj or supercomp reliably to the breachface for ejection. some folks report that they are lucky enough for one extractor to work for all, but if you contact rusty kidd at david's gun room in Atlanta, who designed the aftec he will tell you that he disigned the different extractors due to different case head dimensions. a quick test is to take a few dummy rounds and put them in a mag, insert the mag in the gun and rack one of the dummies in the gun then remove the mag. hold the gun and ease the slide back slowly, if the round fall out the magwell then the extractor is not holding the round to the breachface. this is likely the cause of the jams. you can also pull the top end off the frame and take out the barrel, slip a loaded round up in the breachface, under the extractor and see if it will hold it in place. if it drops out, even if you shake it ,it's too loose.good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Joey,

Ya hit the nail on the head.

I recently chambered a 9mm in an sv that had a super aftec in it the cases would fall right off the exstracter.

after fiting the proper 9, super comp exstracter with a new firing pin stop the tension was were it neede to be and all was well.I have shot a few rounds thru butthe gun is still to new to be given the seal of aproval . keep ya posted . Also after talking with Rusty the problem is even more aparent with comp brass in a super specifice breach face.Ya Know he dont like 9mm so that discusion ended about as quick as it started.

Johnnie