Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN9 - Suitable for IPSC/IDPA?

gringop

As the title says, a friend is getting himself worked up to buy a FNP9 for carry and IDPA. From what I can find out, the biggest drawback is the lack of accesories availible. Does anyone have any experience with these guns? Do they hold up to the high round count of competition? Any info is appreciated, my friend is headed to the gun show tomorrow with cash in hand. What arguments can I give him to get a more popular/mainstream gun.

Gringop

PS. He hates Glocks

I have one and it's a fine gun with a decent trigger and changable backstraps, all at a resonable price. I don't shoot it that much anymore since I've moved away from DA/SA guns. I think it would be good for carry but as you said, the lack of accessories is a definite drawback. Accessory availablity has gotten better, but they will never be as easy to find as stuff for a Glock, M&P, Sig, etc...

• 6 months later...

I am a newbie and only started shooting seriously back in January, 2008. Within the last two months I have started shooting USPSA, IDPA, and TSA. I figured the more trigger time the better for a beginner. As indicated above I purchased an FN9 (not compact) before I started shooting either IDPA or USPSA. It seems like a good pistol and is accurate. As far as my long term goals are concerned, I really don't have any aspirations of advancing in class-I am a senior citizen. More interested in improving my skills and accuracy in handling a pistol. Maybe with that information I answered my own question as to whether I should seek a more suitable pistol for competition purposes. Any of you ever shot the FN9? Opinions? Thanks

Edited by The_Vigilante

• 3 weeks later...