Instruction

rjkelso

lots of dry fire practice

get a .22 and shoot a brick (or more) a month; the Model 18 is my favorite

get into handloading; the Dillon squard deal B is a good press

it just takes time and practice....

"how do you get to Carnagy Hall?"

"practice, practice,practice"

.22's are a very good idea. Lot cheaper, and you can work on many of the fundamentals with them. I have a 10-shot 617, and if you ever get one of these, I highly recommend the DS-10 speedloaders. There is information on the speedloaders on one of the older threads in this forum.

Edited by chemepharmd

Thanks for all the help guys. I've taken to setting up courses of fire in my shop and running through them repeatedly. I like that. By the way tomorrow I am picking up a Model 15-2 4in with an extra wide checkered trigger. Very cool. I plan to shoot the CA state IDPA Championship with either that or my 686. Also I went to www.pistoltraining.com and looked at their offerings. Not bad.

Happy Holiday,

Rick Kelso

The first thing I would tell you if I were your instructor would be to take out the extra wide checkered trigger and replace it with a narrow smooth rounded trigger. :) Most revolver shooters (Jerry notwithstanding) will shoot better with a narrow smooth trigger on a wheelgun.

Now you scare ME, Mike... I am planning to do the opposite as I have always shot more accurately with my 29-3 than the 625 and sort of like the "grasp" of the grooved trigger. In my 1917 I have the perfect combo a narrow trigger with slightly smoothed grooves :D

Everybody has his own preference--it's all good by me. I'm just saying that an awful lot of revolver people switched to serrated triggers after Jerry's DVD came out. Just because they work for Jerry doesn't mean they work for ordinary mortals! :)

Edited by Carmoney

People who pull the trigger with the distal joint of the index finger contacting the trigger are usually better off with a smooth narrow trigger--because there needs to be some "slippage" as the trigger stroke goes through its cycle. For shooters who pull the trigger with the joint, a serrated trigger will tend to cause the gun to move sideways as the trigger is pulled.

People who pull the trigger with the pad of the index finger are better off with a narrow serrated trigger--they don't want the slippage.

Wide triggers? No. Not good for double-action work.