Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military brass

WDB

I just started loading .223 using LC once fired brass (don't ask me how I know it's once fired, but it is). I knew about the crimp but sometimes I'm hard headed and just have to try things for myself. All I can say is that I'm VERY glad that I didn't waste my money getting some type of de-crimp tool. I run them through my LEE auto prime and just sit there and watch TV while priming brass. They go right in without the slightest of problems. On about 300 right now. Is this an anomaly? And the chamber and fire just fine, no high primers. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I ream all the brass as part of my case preparation. I use a Lee (I thinks thats who makes it) primer pocket reamer set in my cordless drill. Just a quick spin to each pocket to remove the crimp, if the case has one, and the beveled edge making priming real easy.

I have noticed that some of my NATO LC do not have any signs of a crimp But I don't remember which years they were. Recent LC 06-07 I have recovered have been crimped and the primers sealed with a red sealant. I've got between 3-5000 now so a super swage is on the wish list for XMas.