Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Load using Laser Cast bullets

BDH

I bought some Laser Cast 40 cal for 1911 185 gr. RN SWC bullets to try out. Does anyone have favorite load using this bullet? The pistol powders I normally have on hand are N320, N340, N350, & WW231 (although I do have some Unique, and some Accurate #2 and #5 around). Preferred primers are Winchester SRP.

Go to laser cast web page to the shooter journal archives, winter 2001 as I recall.  Several loads listed.  I use U. Clays at about 4.6 gr.  Makes major, soft shooting.  A bit smoky.  Shot area 8 a year or so ago.  They had some gray plates and it was hard to see them after several rounds.

BDH, I can't remember exactly, but from what I remember I used 4.8 of N340 loaded to about 1.2" and a small rifle primer.  My load is listed in Maass' list.  I found that the 180 RNFP bullet shot better for me.  It is listed as a 38-40 bullet.  Mike Boyd gave me some of them to try out, and I was impressed.  If you try them out, you have to load a little shorter because of the short proflile and the large bearing surface.  I can't recommend laser cast bullets highly enough.  A truly excellent product, with some of the best customer support I have seen.

I shoot a lot of Laser-Cast in my 40/357/44/45 and they have all shot without any bore deposits (ie: leading) at all with one exception...the 40.  

I called Laser-Cast and chatted with them for quite some time about this and they claimed that the bore deposits were actually silver and not lead.  Yes, Laser-Cast bullets have silver in them.  It took over 1000 rounds before these deposits were really noticable.  When I used to hand cast I know that I could see leading a lot sooner than that and it was a lot harder to remove than the deposits I had to get out of the .40 barrel.

Who knows for sure?  

Cheers!

Kevin