Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK Carry Laws

Since many of us are heading to OK for the nationals in a few weeks, I'll add OK handgun laws to the "like" thread (with all the usual disclaimers of not being legal advice, etc.)

It's also worth noting that calibers larger than .45 are prohibited in carry guns (I suppose I could start a hate thread on that one) and there is a ban on carr in establishments the primary purpose of which is the sale of alcohol.

From http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2007.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1290.26 Reciprocal agreement authority

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

TITLE 21 § 1272. Unlawful

The most significant element for me is "...upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state." Home state has no similar requirement.

Home state has no similar requirement.

Pro-gun states with shall-issue often have more restrictions on carry than anti-gun states with may-issue licensing systems. Most of the places off limits in OK law are not excluded in (of all places) the DPRM (Democratic People's Republik of Massachusett)s.

Remember, if you carry to the nationals venue you MUST either utilize an unloading station outside the range, or report immediately to a match official to arrange gun clearing (rule 2.5.1/2.5.2). I don't know if the nationals will have a designated unloading station, or if the procedure is to report to a match official to unload.

... assuming you are relatively "law abiding", how often do you think this will occur in the 6-7 days you are at the NATS ?

Probably about as likely as my employer needing the AED kept at the front desk during the same time period, or of needing the fire extinguisher I keep in the reloading period during any particular week.

I know a case where a member would have been 100.00% justified in shooting two attackers when he was engaged in lawful behavior (walking on a public street) while in town for a match (no, it was not a USPSA nationals). He prevailed without a firearm, but only through a combination of luck, intestinal fortitude, and luck. Will it happen to you? Almost certainly not. But, as Walt Rauch said, one thing that leaves people unprepared is the "It won't happen; if it happens, it won't happen today; if it happens today it won' t happen to me" mindset.