Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB shell plate bolt question

I found in this post http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=120858 that the bolt is supposed to be snugged down all the way. I find that it will not index when snugged down and it will tighten up if I leave it slightly loose. This is the first time I have switched to the .38/.357 shell plate. The shell plate is looks fairly new and in good condition and I have seen worn out shell plates that wouldn't index properly before for the sake of comparison. As a sanity check I put back in the 9MM shell plate and indexes. The 9MM shell plate does stick a tiny bit at the same point but not enough that I would have noticed it in the thousands and thousands I have through the press.

Edited by adweisbe

Okay, it seems like there is nothing wrong with the bolt being snugged down in terms of rotating the shell plate. With it snugged down I can rotate it with my fingers just fine. If I try and do a full stroke the shell plate indexes half way and then sticks. If I move the ram back up ever so slightly and try again it unsticks just fine. When I look at the hand it is higher up on the shell plate when sticking and lower when successfully indexing the rest of the way. It seems like the hand is in the wrong place and attacking at the wrong angle for whatever reason. It slides back down when I remove the ram back up ever so slightly and is then able to index it the rest of the way. The contact surface on the indexing hand is in pretty good shape. It is only very slightly nicked at the point of contact. I think I will need to wait for backup on this one.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the angled bottom of the index lever needs to be greased heavily. :ph34r:

Thanks. I was able to call yesterday and they also sent me a new shell plate since my 9MM and .45 shell plate don't seem to have the same problem. I will try some heavy slide glide and see if that helps.