Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems in Switching Between 22 LR and .223?

Due to costs in ammunition there has been a trend in my area to allow 22 LR to be used in 3G matches. I'm want to ask the ones that don't and the ones that already do, if I can use a .22 LR kit for the close range stages and use .223 with the stages that have longer range targets.

Is there any safety/performance/wear issue if I shoot .22LR (w/a Ciener kit) and then I shoot .223 (in the next stage) without cleaning the bore?

Due to costs in ammunition there has been a trend in my area to allow 22 LR to be used in 3G matches. I'm want to ask the ones that don't and the ones that already do, if I can use a .22 LR kit for the close range stages and use .223 with the stages that have longer range targets.

Is there any safety/performance/wear issue if I shoot .22LR (w/a Ciener kit) and then I shoot .223 (in the next stage) without cleaning the bore?

No safety/performance/wear issues that i am aware of but I find the entire issue pretty unique. Folks who have 22 conversion kits want to use them at the matches to save money on ammo. Now if I attended the match and had a 22 conversion with me I would think that was pretty good. If I attended the match and did not have a 22 conversion I would see it as pretty unfair since you are going to be able to run that 22 conversion faster than the 223.

You did not say if these are IPSC/USPSA rifle matches but if they are, nothing in the rules allows this to happen. You can not alter the rifle to shoot another type of ammo between stages and how does anyone see 22LR as making minor?

Thats just wrong. Can they use a .22 pistol too?

How gay! Is the range going to carpool and pick everyone up with their .22s to help save gas since its so expensive?

Edited by 00bullitt

The club that I am familiar with has a .22 class. Normally .22 rifle, .22 pistol and either a full powered shotgun is used or one of the .22's can be used in lieu of the shotgun when appropriate. Don't know about the other club.

...and it's about fun.

...it's about drawing new shooters.

...and it isn't USPSA.

If you have a comp..It will lead up real bad with 22 then when you shoot 223 it will vaporize the lead...quite a toxic cloud!!

Also you may or may not plug up your gas port...If I remember correctly Ciener warns about cleaning before shooting 223

And It would not be fair or legal to shoot 22lr in any match I know of.

Jim

The club that I am familiar with has a .22 class. Normally .22 rifle, .22 pistol and either a full powered shotgun is used or one of the .22's can be used in lieu of the shotgun when appropriate. Don't know about the other club.

...and it's about fun.

...and it isn't USPSA.

The way I read your post was that you could substitute a .22 in lieu of .223 for the up close stuff to save money. If its a straight .22 class......that is fine. But the two should not be intertwined. Its totally not fair. Yes....I agree. It is about fun and drawing new shooters. But make it a .22 division.

And to answer your original question about using a conversion. It really screws up accuracy and leads the crap out of the bore and comp. If you shoot just .22 out of it and clean it......it works fine. Cleaning the lead from the .22 is easy. Once you fire a .223 in the bore after shooting the conversion......accuracy goes to crap and it will take you a week to get the lead out of the bore. Ask me how I know.

yep - a dedicated .22 upper is preferable. Even better is a SBR dedicated upper with a can!

I think a .22 division for all types of matches is a great idea. It would help grow the sport, be a great division for kids to start in, and even allow some guys to shoot who cannot afford the increasing cost of center fire ammo.

It works in the steel matches.

There was a thread on that topic a year or so ago. I was surprised at how many people were against a .22 division. Some smart a**es rebutted with: "what's next, an airsoft division." If you don't like it, then don't shoot it :angry2:

...and it's about fun.

...and it isn't USPSA.

And I for one am completely cool with that. 22 classes are all you say they are. I just do not want us to dumb down major/minor further.