Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Z32MadMan

Z32MadMan

Well I thought I would start a diary in here, bascially as a way to get my thoughts down and to look back on. I'm 19 and have been shooting pistols here and there for many years. I got my first pistol, a Sig 2009, earlier this summer, and I went to my first USPSA match in July. I now have 2 matches under my belt and can't wait for my third this Sunday. My first match went fairly well. I learned that in Production you plan out you reloads very carefully, and basically reload everytime you move. Well the first stage I run it dry in the second array. I shot okay... This was the first time I had ever drawn from a holster and done actual reloads. I definitely got caught up in shooting fast and trying to burn the place down. I wasn't making my points. My second match comes along and I had worked on my reloads a little bit and had started reading this forum. My first two stages it was the same story. Shooting too fast, and not making points. Stage 3 comes up and I tell my self to use the front sight SigSauer gave me and make them count. Alphas everywhere, but I was very slow on the stage. So for the rest of the match I do the same, unfortunately blowing a table load on the next stage.... Working the front sight and just trying to get my points. I walked away much happier from this match. Looking back on the score my match percentages were around 24% for the first and 40% for the second. After this match I decide that it is time to start working on this and I got serious about dryfiring. So for the past 12 days I have been dryfiring almost everyday. I had a huge breakthrough with my reloads. I swear the magwell was too small or my magazine were to big in the beginning. I just couldn't do a smooth reload. Well after several days I figured out that I needed to turn my weak left hand more clockwise on the magazines, because the mag was slightly torqued when I was trying to insert it. So now my reloads are much better. My trigger control is also miles ahead of where I was two weeks ago. Dryfiring has really helped me snap my eyes, get on target, and smoothly get the shot off faster. My draws have gotten better, and more importantly more consistant. I have also been practicing my table loads a lot in hope that I won't blow another one. Reading the forum everyday has really helped too, I am always trying to grasp the mental game. My next match is this Sunday and I really feel that I have improvement over my last matches. Here are two stages from my second match. I am going to try to get some video of my next one so that I can compare them and come up with a new list of things to work on.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=rusk...arch=&aq=f#

Just got back from the match, with mixed feelings. First the bad, I got DQ'ed after slipping and falling down. When I got back up to run down range to the next string, I broke the 180. The good, all the dryfiring I had done for the past two weeks paid off and I felt a difference in my shooting. I felt like I was getting my first shot off much sooner, my transistions were better, and my splits were faster. The match started off like the last one, my first two stages were crap and I wasn't shooting well. I was rushing through and not concentrating well enough on the sights, and my scores showed it. My third and forth stages were much better, I settled down and was letting the front sight dictate things. The third stage was a my first classifier, so it will be interesting to see how that went. During this stage, I watched the front sight lift for the first times. It was awesome! I was shooting that stage and I just noticed that I saw it lift after a shot. So I keep on going through the stage and my I'm just thinking "Hey I saw it lift, lets see if I can see it aga.., Hey there it is again, this is working pretty well". So I'm having this little conversation in my conscious mind, while my subconscious is blasting away the the paper. Very cool stuff, I can't wait to work on that more. The fifth stage is where I got DQ'ed. There were 3 strings on this stage, two from the around the starting box, and one about 30ft down range. After I shoot the first two strings I reload and take off running. Unfortunately the ground was wet and I slip and fall down, breaking the 180 as I get back up and start running downrange. Thankfully there was no AD and no one was hurt. So that cut my day short, but I think I walked away learning quite a bit. These are clips from the match, I always appreciate critisism on videos. It helps me figure out what I need to work on. I started on stage 5. Stage 5 and 6 were too fast and I didn't get good hits, 1 and 2 got good points, 3 is the DQ.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&...%2F08&hl=en

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have grown to love USPSA, or competative shooting, for several reasons. The people are great and always willing to help the new guys. It's just plain fun. And it is a terribly complex sport. I love that, there is always something to work on, something new to practice. I find myself living from one match to the next.

As always, after the last match I have come up with a list of things I want to work on for the next match. This time around it has been:

1) Get through this match safely without being DQ'ed. I have it ingrained into my head that if I fall, first thing is keeping the gun downrange. Second thing is keeping it there while I take a quick mental pause to realize what happened and safely get back into the game.

2) Is to work more with "seeing" everything going on and everything that needs to be seen. I watched the sight lift for the first few times last match and I want to see more of that this match. I feel like Clarice in Silence of the Lambs when Lector says "You have looked but you have not seen."

3) Lately my grip and stance has been a constant work in progress. This include me trying to keep my arms more bent. I have been dryfiring to break the habit of over extending my arms, so hopefully I can make this happen during a match.

4) Getting myself into the right mental state right away. The last two matches I have gone into the first two stages trying to burn the place down. And I usually walk away with a couple D's and mikes to prove it. After the first two stages I settle down, work the front sight, and let that determine my speed. This match I really want to get into that state right away, so I don't wind up blowing the first stages.

My unofficial goal for this year is to be shooting matches above 50%. I want to be high C knocking on B by december. Last match was my first classifier which I shot 39%, and I made a few rookie errors.

I just went thru one of your videos, and I think for

someone who has just started at IPSC, it looked

pretty good.

Seems to me you have your expectations too high.

The practice sounds great =very dedicated, and you've

already noticed that it really helps a lot.

But, you have to strike a balance between "blasting real

fast" and missing; and shooting "real slow" and getting

all "A's".

Somewhere in between, with a lot of practice (like you're

doing) you'll get 70% A's and a bunch of C's in there, and

then you'll know you have the speed right.

Welcome to a very frustrating, but fun, game of balance.

Hope you have fun with it.

I realized it is probably a bit unrealistic, but I feel that in doing so I'm pushing myself to improve more. I'm shooting stages at around 40% compared to the top open shooters at the matches, and last match was my first over 50%. I'm not trying to get a card, hell I'm not even a member yet, I just want to be shooting at that level.

Definitely a game of balance. That is still by far my biggest problem. Once I get into the right mindset I'm shooting about right, but unfortunately has taken me a few stages to achieve in past matches.

Cheers

I received my cleats today, and honestly if you are shooting matches on grass a lot you really ned a pair. I tried them out sprinting around the yard and I am quite pleased. Not only do I feel better about not slipping, but they really help you get out of the box faster and stop quicker.

As I said before my grip is a constant work in progress. Every day I dryfire I learn something new, notice something new, and make changes. As I progress my hands are naturally getting higher and higher on the grip. This feels more solid and everything seems to lock in better. I now have my weak hand more cammed and I'm starting to relax my strong hand more while squeeze my weak hand more. I have noticed that in my videos that I adjust my weak hand fairly often while I'm shooting. It seems to be happening less as I progress, but it is still happening. I feel like my grip is starting to get to the point where this shouldn't be happening any longer. Also I'm going to try to pick up some grip enhancer to put a damper on my sweaty palms.

Another thing that I have come to notice about this sport is that you don't improve at all by shooting matches. You may learn what is working and what isn't, but you don't enhance your skills. All of that is done in practice and dryfiring. Draws, reloads, footwork, grip, stance, trigger control all of that is done subconsciously during matches. And the only way to improve is to build up muscle memory with practice, so when you hear "Beep" everything just happens. Atleast that is how I feel.

I am also working on my "eye snap" now quite a bit. In dryfiring I have noticed that it gets you on target so much faster. When you snap to the next target the gun follows and stops dead on the center of where you were looking. It's still difficult to get myself to do this everytime, but that's what practice is for I suppose.

So much to learn...

MadMan

Also for what it is worth I have not fired a single live round outside of a match since I started shooting USPSA. This is a combination of there not being an open range within an hour, the price of getting there, and the fact that ammo is so expensive. I don't really like this fact but it goes to show how much you can learn and improve from dryfiring.

I spent the day setting up my CR Speed belt. The Uncle Mike's paddle holster was converted to belt and the double pouches went back on. I will have four 773's on there, once I order them from BE, and I think I am going to keep one of the double on there in the very back.

I have match #4 in the morning so I should have some clips up later.

Enjoy

This is the result of todays match, my 4th USPSA meet.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=usps...7-08&emb=0#

To say the least I was not having a good day. I found a big thing that I need to work on, strong and weak hand shooting. I wasn't feeling good about my shooting and the scores don't look very well. Sorry for the video quality, two of the clips were shot on low resolution some how... There is also one stage that is not shown which was a 40yd, 25yd, 15yrd freestyle, strong, weak sort of deal.

A few things that I do see.. My gun handling skills are improving. My draws and reloads are much faster and are coming more naturally. I have been changing a lot with my grip and I am running a new belt, so my consistancy with these two are still coming along. You can see I blew a few reloads and on the last stage I couldn't seem to find the gun :rolleyes:

Also, the stages that were set up were not my favorite. I like stages that involve more movement and action. I seem to do better with them and enjoy them more. Everything was a bit wet down here in FL so they designed that characteristic out of the match.

I feel like my recoil control has greatly improved and I am a lot happier with my grip. Although everything is always a work in progress.

I couldn't get into the zone and get a good FS concentraion today. But the one time I did was the second stage with the steel. I was seeing the FS lift and really had a good focus going. And you can see the result.

I have been working on my eye snap. And I can really see it working during dryfire, the gun stops right where it needs to. But I need a lot more practice for it to happen subconsciously. So I will be working on that quite a bit. My trigger control also needs work. My strong hand shooting was awful, and actually worse than my weak hand shooting. I was also shooting a bit left most of the day. Time for some wall drill dryfire and reevaluation of my trigger finger placement and pull.

Please, I am here to learn so point out anything you see good or bad. I have already made great progress because of what people have to say.

Cheers

You are doing great for your 4th match. Even if you can't make it out to a range, keep up the dry fire and it will take you far. Just ask Pharaoh Bender ^_^ There are also plenty of great books I'd suggest reading too... Brian's is an essential, and Steve Anderson's two books give you some great dry fire drills. Lanny Bassham's With Winning In Mind is good for the mental aspect of the game too (and it's cheap from amazon.com). Keep up the good work!

While dryfiring tonight, I found out what was so wrong with my strong hand only shooting. At that last match during the first stage my strong hand shooting resulted in multiple mikes. The next stage was weak hand shooting which was actually significantly better than my strong hand shooting. The RO also said that on the first stage all of my shots were going way down and left. So back to tonight, while dryfiring strong hand I noticed that the muzzle was breaking left as the trigger broke. Turned out to be my thumb placement. When I shoot freestyle my thumbs apply zero pressure to the frame and my strong hand thumb doesn't even touch the frame. This works well for me, it keeps the gun still and keeps my thumb off of the slide catch. But when you try to shoot that way strong hand only you have no support on the left side of the gun, so when you pull the trigger the gun swerves left. When I shoot weak hand I naturally grip the gun with my thumb on the frame, this explains why my weak hand shooting was better than my strong hand shooting. Once I moved my strong thumb down and on to the frame things were much better.

Lots of work to do. It just feels good to know what was going on and to have a definite solution to a big problem.

Newb issues: 18 down, 947 to go :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my first dryfire session in almost two weeks, since I returned to college. I'm keeping my rig at a friends house off campus, and he just happens to have an amazing backyard. It is L shaped and probably about 20 yards deep. It felt really good for being off for so long. Reloads were pretty smooth and I got my draws back quickly. My grip, which I had been working on for a long time and which has been a source of my problems, felt good and consistent.

Getting out of the bedroom and out in the open to dryfire is great. I think it is really going to help my movement, footwork, moving reloads, and gun handling on the move a lot. It's going to be a while before I can get to a local match, but it feels good to get back into it.