Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Bent Decapping Stem (not the pin)

I have a RL550B press that I bought sometime in the mid-1980's. I was loading some 45acp tonight and noticed a weird feeling in the sizing/decapping station. I looked at one of the cases, and it had sort of a figure eight flash hole. The decapping pin was punching a new hole ! I thought just the decapping pin was bent. I tried straightening it and ran a few more cases. I could see a slight drag mark by the flash hole, but they were basically round. After a while I decided to remove the decapping stem/pin assembly. I was shocked to find the stem (not the pin) bent like a pretzel ! It was sort of an elongated Z shape. I can't believe I could load at all with it like this. For all I know it's been like that for years as I've never removed it before.

Anybody else ever bend the stem like this ? I would have thought the pin would bend or snap off before the thick stem would bend.

Edited by alzo

By the way, any problem shooting those rounds with the almost double flash holes ? I have no way of knowing which ones they are, so if there is a safety problem, I'll have to scrap 100 rounds.

I've broke my share of decapping pins but never heard of anyone that bent the stem. I would think it would take a lot of muscle to do that kind of damage.

As for the extra flash hole, I doubt it would cause any problems. I know several bullseye shooters that enlarged the flash hole on their match ammo. You essentially did the same thing but with a little different style.

Bill

I called Dillon and they agreed that there should be no problem using the rounds. I shot them yesterday and just discarded the brass. A new decapping stem/pin assembly is on the way courtesy of Dillon Precision. I can't say enough good things about Dillon's customer service.

I called Dillon and they agreed that there should be no problem using the rounds. I shot them yesterday and just discarded the brass. A new decapping stem/pin assembly is on the way courtesy of Dillon Precision. I can't say enough good things about Dillon's customer service.

I did the same thing, but with a .223 stem and I crushed the neck expander trying to bend it back.

Dillon made me buy a new one though, oh well, my fault anyhow :)

J in AZ