Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right thing to do with a SA/DA pistol during a match...

I bought a P226, and was thinking of shooting it in a match for grins. I know I need to focus on one gun and myself. The M&P9mm in production is still that area of focus. Still, I was curious about the proper procedures for using a SA/DA gun.

What I wasn't sure about is what to do with the hammer. On the M&P it's striker fired. So on "load and make ready" I put a mag in, rack the slide, and holster.

With the sig, do I do the same and holster the gun with the hammer back? Or lower the hammer so the first pull is DA?

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks for the help and the link. I do need to practice with this more. I spent a good bit of time just firing DA, not even the double tap. It's very different to me. To some extent I think it's made my shooting with the M&P better as well. We'll see. I will say that every aspect of the two are very different. But much like shooting my 22LR shows off a few faults, I think the same might happen here.

Steve - Spend a whole practice session doing double taps, starting decocked. It takes a while to get used to it.

Here's an article by Ernie Langdon, who knows a thing or two about DA/SA shooting: http://pistol-training.com/articles/fear-n...ble-action-shot

Great find, thanks!!!!!!! My girlfriend is just starting, and she's currently shooting a CZ worked over. The gun shoots great, but like others, she has a hard time pulling the first round in DA and being on target.

Jerry

There are more than a few folks that think that shooting a revolver/DA trigger pull will really help your trigger discipline and control further down the line. I believe it, but I still took the easy way out with a striker gun for Prod :D