Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun w/ optic

UW Mitch

I just started shooting open, so "finding the dot" is something I'm really working on. Between the match yesterday and the match a week ago, I made a lot of improvement being able to find the dot shooting freestyle. I'm left handed and left eye dominant. Yesterday at the match though, the COF called for 2 shots on each of 3 targets freestyle, manditory reload then 2 shots on each weak hand. The weak hand shooting I had a hard time finding the dot.

I shoot with both eyes open, ironsights and with the C-more. What I realized in my dryfire this morning is that I can "find the dot" with my weak hand and dominant eye by holding the gun "offset" a little and in front of my dominant eye (I think Matt Burkett talks about this technique in one of his videos, in contrast to tilting your head). I also found I could just as easily pick up the dot with my non dominant eye, and not have to offset the gun and extend my wrist quite as much by just holding the gun in front of my non dominant eye.

Question is: is this a dumb way to do it? Does everyone always use their dominant eye? Or for weak hand (right hand) should I use my non dominant eye (right eye)?

Thanks,

Mitch

I am also new at this (six months) but I always

use my dominant eye -

A little trick I've learned (I know about "muscle

memory", but there's a small bump or knob right

below the optic - I look at that and keep it at the

middle bottom of the optic until the red dot appears

I also keep the dot VeryBright - easier for me to

find it (I've had the same problem finding the dot).

I just started shooting open, so "finding the dot" is something I'm really working on. Between the match yesterday and the match a week ago, I made a lot of improvement being able to find the dot shooting freestyle. I'm left handed and left eye dominant. Yesterday at the match though, the COF called for 2 shots on each of 3 targets freestyle, manditory reload then 2 shots on each weak hand. The weak hand shooting I had a hard time finding the dot.

I shoot with both eyes open, ironsights and with the C-more. What I realized in my dryfire this morning is that I can "find the dot" with my weak hand and dominant eye by holding the gun "offset" a little and in front of my dominant eye (I think Matt Burkett talks about this technique in one of his videos, in contrast to tilting your head). I also found I could just as easily pick up the dot with my non dominant eye, and not have to offset the gun and extend my wrist quite as much by just holding the gun in front of my non dominant eye.

Question is: is this a dumb way to do it? Does everyone always use their dominant eye? Or for weak hand (right hand) should I use my non dominant eye (right eye)?

Thanks,

Mitch

The advantage of shooting open is both eyes open. It is also an advantage in limited if you can do it.(not everyone can) You have to dryfire alot and keep both eyes open and pretty soon it will be second nature. after that finding the dot will be easy whether you shoot strong, weak or freestyle.

I usually tilt the pistol a bit inward and bend my elbow to bring it closer to my face when I have to shoot those rare weak hand shots. Bringing the scope closer to my face - the back of the slide is only about 10" from my face - really helps me pick the dot up with my weak eye.

I also keep the dot on full bright if the match is outdoors no matter what - unless it is really overcast.