Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVD Recommendations Wanted - New Shooter

Litehart

I am new to pistol shooting. I just purchased a new Kimber Gold Match II (.45ACP) and want to be sure I begin my shooting WITHOUT creating bad habits at the line. Initially I want to learn the fundamentals of the grip, stance (for basic target shooting; no fancy footwork), sight alignment, etc. Can you recommend a DVD and/or books that would do a great job for someone new to the sport?

Additionally, I have heard conflicting opinions about the harmful effects of dryfiring. I understood that dryfiring is ok with a centerfire; in fact, if I read the Kimber manual correctly, they say to NOT slowly drop the hammer but instead pull the trigger to lower a cocked hammer. I did hear dryfiring is not a good idea with a rimfire (like the S&W 41 I have ordered).

Thanks!

Get them here in Brian's store.

Brian Enos "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" (must have)

Matt Burketts DVD's especially 1-4 (great)

Dry fire SAFELY and a lot Leave all your ammo in the basement.

Do your dry fire practice in the attic.

edited to add link http://www.brianenos.com/store/home.html

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

You might want to try Saul Kirsch's/DAA books.Thinking Practical Shooting and Perfect practice.Saul makes a good point, he says when you read it help you to visualize the technique better than watching it .

Also Anderson's Dry fire manuals.

MB's videos are also extremely helpful.

+1 to all the books/DVD's mentioned so far.

After you've got the basics down I like the videos of major matches with Saul Kirsch commentary and hat cam video. He'll show you a stage, let you watch him shoot it and then see other top shooters on the same stage. Really good stuff to absorb.

You're right about not dry firing your model 41....the firing pin will get trashed when it makes metal on metal contact. I'm sure somebody makes some kind of .22 snap cap which would prevent that.

When you get to practicing reloads with your Kimber, get some dummy rounds/snap cap rounds and put them in the magazines. It keeps the follower and mag release catch from getting beat up and makes them feel closer to the proper weight and spring resistance you'll experience during real reloads. R,

+++ to the Matt Burkette videos. They are the first thing on my list. Brians book is great, but as the title says it's "beyond fundamentals".

If you want to have a look at the Burkett videos first, check out SmartFlix . They have a really wide selection of "special subject" rental DVDs including all the Burkett videos and some other really great stuff. Try and avoid the Lenny Magill videos, most are a waste of time and his ego keeps getting in the way.