Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Update on Rimfire reliability.....

DougCarden

I wanted to post an update on my trials and tribulations with two .22s, a TACSOL paclite upper on my Ruger Mk II, and the Marvel Unit I on a STI singlestack frame.

I fought the Tacsol upper on my 22/45 frame, and it would not run. I put it on the Mk II steel frame, runs like a champ with Fed 550 pks and CCI standards....Who knew???? Bore snake and some oil every couple hundred rounds and it keeps perking along.

The Marvel has been a work in progress. I currently am running a 17lb mainspring with one coil clipped, and have 100% reliability on the hits. I have to tighten the guide rod every 150-200 rds...no big deal there, I just have to know to do it. The biggest thing that has helped is putting a thumbguard on the gun so I cant induce malfs on the slide with my thumb. Everything else is cake with this unit.

To keep the .22s running.....use a Bore snake every 100 rds or so, get a small brush to keep the breechface clean, use a thin oil and lots of it, and if you are using a .22 conversion kit you need to either make sure your thumb never hits the slide, or put on a guard to keep you from doing it.

For a single stack frame it is pretty easy....Use a Swenson saftety or get an EGW aluminum thumbguard (one that replaces the plunger tube assy.)....one of the best I have seen.

On my STI frame I bought a thumb guard from Brazos, and fit another piece onto it so it would completely keep my thumb off the slide. It aint pretty, but it works.

It has taken a while to get here, but the guns are helping shorten the learning curve and saving me money on ammo at the same time.....gotta like that....

Hope this helps someone that is struggling like I did........ :cheers:

Regards,

DougC

Thanks for the info Doug. I've only played with the TacSol upper on my STI a bit and it's definitely ammunition picky. I have some CCI Mini Mags and Federal AutoMatch(?) to try through it and see if it'll increase the reliability numbers. Right now, I'm getting a malf every 15-20 rounds or so, but that's with Federal bulk pack, Blazer and American Eagle. I probably need to lube the gun a little more than I do, definitely needs to be cleaned, but too, I think it's still getting broke in a bit. The frame to slide fit is TIGHT when we started.

Rich

Rich.....try this.....flip the slide upside down and mirror polish the disconnector rail. Dont remove anything, but make it slick....you know....

You should be able to put the slide only on the frame and it should slide up and down with no drag. If there is drag.....get rid of it. Also check your mainspring weight too.....I know guys that run 15lb ISMIs but I am not that brave......start with a 17lber and see what happens.....

When the gun malfs, does it not pull the case out of the chamber, does the empty get caught between the slide? I have seen those a lot....

Minimags for me at matches.....period......

Jamie....I still remember your marvel goodies.....still tempted...... :cheers:

Got a sick boy right now,

later,

DougC

Hi Doug,

Will do on the break-in. I've been patient, but will probably get more aggressive soon. On the malfs, it's a little of everything really, but have a feeling that slickin' it up will help tons. I'll report back.

Rich

I have a Marvel and I just put a 19lb mainspring in. I was getting misfires constantly with Federal 550 pack. Since I switched I had about 5 misfires in 1300 rounds. The only problem I get now is ejected shell getting caught on the way out and jamming the gun. I had to adjust the ejector and it helped out alot.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40