Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Load softare

Anyone here using RCBS Load?  This software is supposed to be the end all for loading and ballistics and whatnot.  But, it runs around $70 (Midway) to $90 locally.

Is it worth the cost?

Cheers!

Kevin

I was quite disappointed in the RCBS software.  If what you are interested in is a compiliation of out of date load manuals with a balistics, and recoil calculator thrown in by all means purchase it.  I do have but I wish I hadn't spent the 75 (I think, I got mine from Cabela's).  You can get the current load manual data for extra charges (unless a newer version has come out since May)

I would strongly encourage you to look at the NECO Quick Load ($157) from NECO including shipping.  Much better software for the handloader.  It has burn profiles for powders and bullet profiles for the major manufacturers (American and European) and can calculate an approximate load that will give a certain velocity with just about any powder.  Using my current 115 9mm load and my chrony, I "calibrated" the software to my gun and had it give my a new charge for a 147 bullet I wanted to test.  The software was about 3 fps off.  

Recently I have been having pressure problems with my 308 loads, I have been going by published loads and reducing charges while loading long.  I haven't been reducing enough.  The software identifed that I was 25% over SAAMI limits with some of my loads.  I then had it recalcuate charges with 5 different powders that I have on hand at safe pressure levels.   Hopefully I have found a reliable place to get data for the way I load, to date I have just been very lucky and fortunately have a strong action on my rifle.

There is a demo version on NECO's website check it out.  If you have any questions let me know.