Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Correcting POI

prickett

I shoot several pistols in several calibers (from pellet to .45 ACP) and it seems in all cases my point of impact is 7 or 8 0'clock. Looking at an error analysis clock, that equates to either jerking or tightening fingers. Try as I might, I can't fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest techniques to overcome this problem?

Thanks!

My first thought would be to try shooting from sandbags or something similar from a bench. Some method of isolating just the trigger finger where you don't have to worry about controlling the gun as much. Try to just think about moving the trigger straight back. Do that a whole buncha times.

Then try to achieve the same feel when shooting freestyle at a close target. Then move back and do it some more. This should help getting used to a correct trigger pull. Also, if you aren't doing it already, wear ear plugs and ear muff type protectors. You may be flinching or anticipating recoil to much and forcing the gun down and left.

Dry fire can help with this too. Focus real hard on your front sight and drop the hammer without moving the sight. Balance a penny on the front sight and drop the hammer without making it fall off. Do this about a million times.

The Hard Part

Aiming is not the hard part. Releasing the shot without disturbing your hold is (the hard part). After establishing correct intention, your body will aim your pistol without effort. Brian Enos

Dry fire can help with this too. Focus real hard on your front sight and drop the hammer without moving the sight. Balance a penny on the front sight and drop the hammer without making it fall off. Do this about a million times.
The Hard Part

Aiming is not the hard part. Releasing the shot without disturbing your hold is (the hard part). After establishing correct intention, your body will aim your pistol without effort. Brian Enos

thanks everyone!