Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Evidence For Recoil Reducers: An Experiment

Newguy

I'm not trying to start a flame war or to bash anyone's product. But, after installing a new Sprinco in my 5" gun I couldn't feel any difference in recoil reduction. I thought that since the Sprinco was advertised as reducing muzzle rise and softening recoil I'd see faster shooting via faster splits.

I tested the same double stack STI frame and slide gun (long dustcover and non-bull barrel w/ a Briley linkless sytem) using a Sprinco w/ a 12 lb recoil spring. I then tested the same gun with the Comonoli tungsten and 2 .125 shok buffs. (Spring weights were verified and checked for binding.) This was two 10 shot strings at 15 yds (I know, I should have done more). The bottom line is that my split times were almost identical (actually a little bit faster with the tungsten but not significant).

Am I missing something? If the Sprinco tames muzzle rise shouldn't the splits be faster since the sights come back quicker? I know there are other variables such as vision and trigger speed. Or, am I using the wrong setup to maximize the Sprinco (maybe a short recoil spring or one that's lighter than 12.5 lbs)?

Has anyone else measured their performance (at least in splits) using a Sprinco or RM compared to a tungsten? I'd like to know what, if any, hard evidence exists to support the claims that recoil reducers increase shooter performance. Anecdotal evidence (it just feels softer) doesn't count timers have taught me to question my perception about what is fast. BTW, I'm not picking on Sprinco. It's just the only double spring recoil reduction system that works in my gun.

Two words "operator error" if the splits aren't faster all it means is you aren't pulling the trigger faster. The sprinco, haven't used one in years, takes some getting used to because of the double recoil impulse. You might have to give it some time. I like the RM because it doesn't give the ca-chunk of the sprinco.

The make the gun work different. I use RM's in mine guns because I wanted to test them. The way I shoot they are faster (about .01-.02 splits .03-.05 target to target) It is diffinetly flatter and softer for me. I can use a Tunsten rod and shoot about as good. Not much difference in times or hits, for me it is just a feel thing that I prefer. I notice it much more on target to target transitions, it makes my tunsten barreled limited gun shoot dang near as flat as a open gun using the RM.

Bottom line is if it doesn't work for you, don't use it. For me a RM is faster on the timer, not much but a tad, but I like the "feel" a lot better, but it took about 4k round to get used to. I was pushing the gun down for the second shot because with a tungsten that is the way I have to shoot it. Now I just grip and rip.

BTW, it "feels softer" does matter, because I can shoot with a more relaxed grip with a "softer shooting gun," and relaxed for me means faster.

Erik,

can you point to the wealth of info already out here? You seem to keep better track...

The recoil reducers are a little bit like religion: It works for many people, but you really have to believe in it. If you don't, you might not get the benefit, or it could be detrimental. There is no such thing as *recoil reduction*. These devices only change recoil timing and therefore recoil feel. Like it better? Great! No difference? Take it back out (there is plenty of evidence that reliability goes down).

That sums it up, I guess...

--Detlef

Well said Detlef.

I don't consider it a recoil reducer (I think that is a marketing gimick) but more as a timing changer. The RM allows you to use two super light weight springs without tearing your gun apart.

Although the reliability thing hasn't been an issue for me, but then again I only have about 7k on my RM. If it broke on me I would not hesitate to go back to a tungsten rod.

The Technical Threads forum has a recoil gadget FAQ but right now the URLs are wrong because of the domain switch.

I was a Sprinco user for about a year, then strictly steel guide rods for a couple years, finally gave in to the tungsten temptation, soon thereafter went to RecoilMasters, back to steel for one match, and now I'm back to RecoilMasters for Limited.

I don't think I can shoot any faster with an RM (or anything else). Nothing ever reduced muzzle flip. However, I do feel more comfortable at warp speed (teen splits), as it is just a little more soft and cushy, and my pairs are astonishingly close together. And I never broke a sight with an RM in the gun, but broke two in the match I switched back to steel. Hmmm.

It's just like 180 gr. bullets vs. 200 gr. bullets or heavy slides vs. scalloped slights or long dust cover frames vs. standard frames; if the scores and times aren't different, go by what feels better.

"Felt" recoil is highly subjective. What things such as weight and spring systems may do is allow you track your sights differently than before. Splits are merely a matter of trigger finger speed and nothing else. Take your blaster and point it into the berm and pull the trigger as fast as you can. While doing that, don't focus on where your rounds impact, be aware of how the gun is moving during recoil. What do your sights tell you. Yes, a gun with less recoil should allow for a faster follow-up shot. But, just because the gun recoils less doesn't directly translate into quicker splits than a gun that recoils more.

I am using a Sprinco in my Edge. I am using a Commander length 11lb recoil spring and I am shooting 169 PF loads (180 grn FMJs). This set-up has been really sweet with my pistol. I can't say that my splits are much faster, but my groups are much better. I have been testing this set-up with 165 grn bullets and it is even better. I think the key to the Sprinco is using a reduced power recoil spring. The eliminates the "ca-chunk" referenced in an earlier post. I used to use tungsten, but I do not like the weight. For me, lighter guns work better. I can index them better, and hold them on target better (I am using this argument to convince my wife that I need a Brazos gun, ha ha).

I have played with the RMs (in a friends gun), and I was very pleased with them. I thought the workmanship should be better. There were too many tool marks on them and they binded in his gun to the point that the slide would lock open without the slide stop. Once we polished the RM it seemed to work things out. It still has a crunchy feeling (I assume from the spring rubbing the tool marks in the RM). STI sent him another one and it was the same. I just think that for that kind of money, it could be made cleaner.

Again, its a matter of finding what works for you. Later.

Jack