Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G F L 9x19 brass BE WARNED!

safenate

I was at the range tonight and was picking up some range brass when i noticed what i call the distinct '38 super tink'. That sound of a failed brass. I noticed several of these G.F.L. headstamps with scorched cracks most the way down the side. Note right side of pics. There is a noticed crack in the unfired load. It appeared to be factory fresh and it appeared the GFL was shot in a Storm or other carbine.

The left side were reloads from a small company. Not sure how much it takes to flatten a primer that much, but i don't want to find out. It flowed back into the extractor area. Not sure if it was ammo, firearm, or combo that made it happen. No failures, that we could tell.

I'll stick to my 4.5 gr of Bullseye, 115 gr @ 1.15" STAY SAFE!

post-14589-1214277273.jpg

post-14589-1214277366.jpg

I was at the range tonight and was picking up some range brass when i noticed what i call the distinct '38 super tink'. That sound of a failed brass. I noticed several of these G.F.L. headstamps with scorched cracks most the way down the side. Note right side of pics. There is a noticed crack in the unfired load. It appeared to be factory fresh and it appeared the GFL was shot in a Storm or other carbine.

The left side were reloads from a small company. Not sure how much it takes to flatten a primer that much, but i don't want to find out. It flowed back into the extractor area. Not sure if it was ammo, firearm, or combo that made it happen. No failures, that we could tell.

I'll stick to my 4.5 gr of Bullseye, 115 gr @ 1.15" STAY SAFE!

Since the loaded, unfired round was split as well, it seems those particular GFL cases were bad from the "git-go". That said, GFL (Fiocchi) has been good for me, loaded tons of it with no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: After posting, I'm not sure the GFL brass you found is new, unfired OEM rounds. I don't have any on hand that are once fired but I seem to remember (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that Fiocchi uses nickle plated primers in their factory rounds.

Edited by D. Manley