Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a Grip

Graham Smith

I've seen a couple older threads but thought I'd ask about what's current thought.

Various people advocate various grip tape products - from skateboard tape to the precut TruGrip and Tac-Grip. Having handled guns with skateboard tape on them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a palm left after a weekend of heavy practice. So what about the precut addons. (I've tried AGrip and hate it).

As to the various lotions like Pro Grip and Fast Grip... I used to bowl, golf, and play tennis and had a rosin bag that I used for all of these. Are the new lotions that much better?

I've seen a couple older threads but thought I'd ask about what's current thought.

Various people advocate various grip tape products - from skateboard tape to the precut TruGrip and Tac-Grip. Having handled guns with skateboard tape on them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a palm left after a weekend of heavy practice. So what about the precut addons. (I've tried AGrip and hate it). Never mind grip tape-call Get'n Grip at 704-749-4920- Jim Hart-or www.getngrip.com Just had mine done what a great person to do business with-and also my grip is just"AWSUM" :cheers:

As to the various lotions like Pro Grip and Fast Grip... I used to bowl, golf, and play tennis and had a rosin bag that I used for all of these. Are the new lotions that much better?

Let me amend my prior post as I was not specific enough. I'm not looking for any frame modifications such as stippling, groves, bumps, lumps, or any other such permanent modifications. I'm looking for something that will be legal in all "sports", hence things like tape.

There's a dealer on the forum here somewhere that I'm sure will chime in shortly about Grip tape. I personally like it. I bought a sheet of skateboard tape for the front strap on my 1911, works great, but you have to change it every 10-15,000 rounds or so. A sheet costs about $5 and is enough for about 50-60 guns if that's all you are going to use it for. as for the Die cut stuff, I have a Scotts type grip on my limited gun and love it. There's no way I'm going to try to cut that out of a sheet of skateboard tape. I'm definatley going to order a die cut peice when it's time.

As for the wear and tear on your hands, I don't really have much problem. I do shoot quite a bit and have pretty tough hands. When I first put the skateboard tape on my 1911, I ran a flat file accross it a couple time, I thought it was a little rough. After I replaced it the first time it felt great with the full grip.

My $.02

Jason

i had been using trugrip pre cut pieces on my sti and was satisfied until i got a roupe grip from another forum member. now i am really happy! trugrip isn't as rough as skateboard tape but it is still grippy and it fits real nice. never had any problems with skateboard tape no matter how long the practice session.

i have also thought about rosin bags just so my hands are as dry as i can get them. i have never tried the any of the lotion type stuff. looks kind of sloppy but it must help.

I use TruGrip on my M&P and regular skate tape on the frontstrap of my 1911. I love grip tape. It isn't rough at all on your hands.

Eric's TruGrip is great stuff because it can conform to various convex and or concave surfaces. If you just need something on a flat or simple (1 axis) curve, then skate tape works great too and adhere's a little better in my experience.