Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case length variations in .38 super/supercomp...

cheers623

So, I have been gleaning information from everyone here on the BE forums about Open guns and loads. My question is this: In all of my reloading manuals the case length for .38 super/supercomp is listed at .900". I know that this is maximum case length but have noticed a wide variety of lengths in the brass I have been examining. Speer and PMC .38 super measures between .884"-.889". The new, unfired Starline .38 supercomp brass I have is all .895"-.896". I plan on using all of the same headstamp Starline .38 supercomp but how much variation is acceptable and does it matter that much? I wonder specifically about headspacing and other related issues. Any thoughts?

Cheers623

DVC

I'm not sure what the acceptable limit is, but I have never, ever worried about it. If the rounds will gauge okay, they'll shoot okay and you shouldn't see much difference in accuracy because they headspace on the case mouth rather than on a rim or shoulder. If you're sticking with matching headstamps, it's pretty much a non-issue any way you look at it. R,

So, I have been gleaning information from everyone here on the BE forums about Open guns and loads. My question is this: In all of my reloading manuals the case length for .38 super/supercomp is listed at .900". I know that this is maximum case length but have noticed a wide variety of lengths in the brass I have been examining. Speer and PMC .38 super measures between .884"-.889". The new, unfired Starline .38 supercomp brass I have is all .895"-.896". I plan on using all of the same headstamp Starline .38 supercomp but how much variation is acceptable and does it matter that much? I wonder specifically about headspacing and other related issues. Any thoughts?

Cheers623

DVC

The variations you are seeing is why a lot of us use the same headstamped brass, and same number of times fired for major matches. The more you fire it the longer it will be. In pistol, or straight walled brass, it either doesn't stretch as much or isn't as much a problem as it is with bottle necks like rifle.

If your wanting the best out of your gun sort by headstamp and times fired and use all of that up then move to the next batch. I use all my range pickups for local matches that are mainly for fun and practice and all my once fired good stuff for the major matches.

If you roll size it be aware that it WILL get longer. Depending on the chamber it can be a problem. I set up a Super with about .004" headspace, so 4-6 rolls later the brass is going to be right at the limit of what the chamber will take. Variation in the length of .010" doesn't make enough difference to worry about until they get too long.