Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Software For Palm?

chunger

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie, but have been shopping around for gear to start up with. I'm also a penny-pinching techy-type (did a $100 home-made fuel injection computer for my car:)

I was wondering if anyone had thought about developing timer software for a Palm. . . I figured the program would not be all that complex . . . features and the user interface could be updated endlessly to fit training needs, and you get a screen many many times larger and more versatile than any other timer on the market. . . plus, you could have data-logging to save your entire practice session with notes to download and log in your PC later. . .

Plus, it's free. . . all you need for input and output hardware would be a cheap microphone and a cheap/loud beeper or buzzer.

Just a thought. . . figured I'd post and see if the idea was completely ludcrous or if it'd be worth the effort to pursue and develope.

ok, I'll go away now and figure out how to buy a first gun to start shooting with :)

-'Chung

I think that this could be a good idea, but could be difficult to get the inputs/outputs to make it run properly. I have been wondering when the timer manufacturers would add an interface for IR download. Also, I was thinking about buying a PACT MkIV (from our gracious host) with the chrono pieces. This model allows for the use of the IR printer; Would it allow the information to be dumped into a PDA? (Compac Pocket PC) It seems that would be handy. Whaddaya think?

Most complex part I guess ergonomically and functionally will be the I/O. . . mic and speaker setup. . . it'd probably have to be a separate box w/ it's own batteries.

I figured you'd have to make a module of some kind to have an efficient/obnoxious buzzer :) . . . and also a microphone or pickup of some kind. Figure it wouldn't be all that difficult to have a mic and a simple circuit that triggered once sound went above a certain db threshold. . . perhaps even adjustable.

Cheapest way to get data recorded to track your progress is to somehow get it to an accessible platform like Palm and your 'puter.

-'Chung

I got hold of a very simple par timer for the palm from a member of another board. You tap in the milliseconds par time then select the beep length (100 or 300 ms). Been using it at home since I don't have a timer yet. I wanted to take a peek at the code that came with it but just haven't gotten the time to do it.

chunger,

Frankly, if all you want is data collection, why not just see if Pact will work with you and let you use their source code. The Mark IV is a programmable system with the timer DSP already invented AND it has an IR port AND a decent buzzer. Get times, point Pact at IR port on PC, hit send, and BAM! --- timer Nirvana.

I think this would be far faster and more practical than converting a Palm.

E

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding MkIV IRDA compatibility-

I brought this up to Brian and he was kind enough to put me in touch directly with Pact a few months ago. Pact's president indicated that outputting the data from the MkIV would be a substantial job, and I agree with him. However, possibly a future device might have an IRDA compliant port that could talk to a Palm or PC.- perhaps it's something we can hope for someday. The contact was very useful anyhow, as we are currently working together on another project.

I do not think any Palm based system could be made to work as well, all around, as a MkIV. There's not a chance any currently available standalone Palm unit could ever put out enough sound volume to do the job of a timer.

I certainly do see a Palm par time application being a nice thing for dry fire practice though.