Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA legal Tanfoglios?

loop

I've been considering getting a Limited, but read on the IDPA Web site that cone barrels more than 4.2-inches long aren't permitted. EAAs site says the Limited and the Stock have cone barrels and both are more than 4.2 inches in length.

Anyone know if there is an IDPA class in which the limited and/or stock are legal?

If it makes any difference I'm looking at .45 ACP as the caliber.

I've been considering getting a Limited, but read on the IDPA Web site that cone barrels more than 4.2-inches long aren't permitted. EAAs site says the Limited and the Stock have cone barrels and both are more than 4.2 inches in length.

Anyone know if there is an IDPA class in which the limited and/or stock are legal?

If it makes any difference I'm looking at .45 ACP as the caliber.

I belive the Limited is too long for the IDPA box. It OAL is 9 inches and the IDPA box is 8 3/4 inches, I think. Also no full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel, not sure what steel the Limited is made of. The Stock will not work because of the cone barrel, maybe Bill Wilson will make a gun with a longer cone barrel soon and the rules will change.

I own a Witness Match and shoot it in ESP and am very happy with it. It takes a little work to get it to up and running (the Sights, mags, and springs are bad!!!!!), however it is a great gun once you have it up and running. It may be the ticket for you, good luck.

I also shoot a Match. I absolutely love it. Fits in the box and comes in under weight for IDPA ESP. I got mine just before they changed the sights so I'm set there. I changed the recoil spring, but not the hammer spring. Out of the box trigger was fine so I left it alone, some I've seen were quite a bit rougher. The only problem I had with mags was the plastic bases. I replaced those with Henning's base pads. I went with a larger safety and new grips. The gun doubles as a Limited USPSA gun, and I don't feel underguned at all. 140mm mags will get you 21+1 rounds (in .40) so the Match, with just a little work, makes a great dual sport gun. If you are looking for a 45 I'm guessing it will be just a IDPA gun , but you could still play in Limited-10. I also had to work out a bug with the slide lock locking prematurely. Works great now. If you go with a Tanfoglio of any flavor, get parts and stuff through Henning, he's a dealer on this forum. Eaa's customer service is, well, to be polite, not what it could be.

Jason

Thanks for the responses.

I have a match in .45 and a poly compact and a standard full size, but I am so happy with them I wanted to move up. But, I also want to shoot IDPA with the new gun.

I got into Tanfoglios by getting the full size really cheap at a gun show and then trying it in a match one night. I then ran off six straight wins in CDP. So I bought the match gun. I've changed some springs, added the fiber optic front sight, have Henning's base pads and the aluminum grips and done some polishing on the internals. The match gun is awesome. Once I got the springs tuned correctly it has been incredibly reliable and groups an inch at poa at 10 yards.

I love this gun. I'm afraid I'm turning into a Tanfoglio addict. I want a limited now.

But, our local IPSC-style group is not sanctioned and all they do is line up the targets and go down the row. I've shot with them a couple times and it is really kind of boring so I've stuck with IDPA (both groups shoot at the same time on the same day).

I read the IDPA rule book and the dust cover will be OK. I forgot where I found the exception, but it said it was OK if it came on the gun stock. It's the cone barrel that is the stopper (as far as I can tell).

EAA says the overall length of the Limited is 8.1 inches. That's why I thought it would fit in the box.

I suppose I'll have to start begging IDPA to allow the barrel. I like every one of my Tanfoglios so much I just want more and better ones...

Besides, the wife already OKd the purchase of the Limited. I'm not telling her I can't shoot it in IDPA. I probably just get one anyway.

Hello: Does EAA make a pistol legal for IDPA SSP? Any information is appreciated. Thanks, Eric

The stock pistol should do the trick. NOT the Elite Stock, the plain old witness steel or polymer. They're usually a little rough, but if you spend some time with one, it would probably be a real nice SSP pistol. Inexpensive as well. I saw a new one just the other day for less than $400. they make a 9,38 super,40, 10, and 45.

Hello: It would be in 9mm so my son could shoot it as well. I will check out the stock Witness models. Is the polymer or the steel one better? Thanks, Eric

I have no experience with the polymer. If you're not carrying it I don't see why you wouldn't want the steel frame. The weight should help with recoil. I have heard of some people having trouble with 9mm. I have a couple of friends with 9's, they don't have any problems. The problems usually seems to be with feeding.The Tanfoglio's seem to like long loads. If you can find an older small frame witness, you're set. They feed near 100%. If it's a 15or 16 round mag, it's a small frame (no longer imported, but mags are everywhere) The Large frame hold 18 rounds. I have a Baby Eagle that I love. They are a clone of the witness with a little bit smaller grip. I believe the frame are or were made by Tanfoglio. They use the same mags as the older small frame witnesses.

EAA says the overall length of the Limited is 8.1 inches. That's why I thought it would fit in the box.

I belive the only pistol that EAA makes that is 8.1 inches OAL is the Standard Winteness Full Size.

The Witness Match is 8.75 OAL and it just barely barely fits in the IDPA box!

Unless the Wintess Limited as changed recently it was 9 inches OAL and would not fit in the IDPA box.