Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV Powders

I am searching for a replacement for VV N-110 (other than 296/H-110) due to the current prices. Anybody know of one?

What are you loading with N110?

Back in the day, I used H110 and WW296 for magnum handgun loads.

At that time Blue Dot or 2400 was a viable substitute.

Tony

hi guys,

any feedback using VV N310 for 40 cal?

that seems to be the only readily available powder where I live.

Thanks for any advice

I am searching for a replacement for VV N-110 (other than 296/H-110) due to the current prices. Anybody know of one?

Tony

I load 9x25 with N-110 and it is about perfect. The common alternative is 296/H-110 but that gets pretty dirty at 165PF due to the low pressures.

Tony

hi guys,

Thanks for any advice

Depends how long you load and what type of bullet. I load OAL of 1.200 with 4.2 N310 and a 200gr Zero. I have also used some 200 gr Berry's rn with 3.9 N310. Both make major and are very soft. If you are loading shorter you may want to go a little lighter to start.

Can anybody tell me how Clays compares with n310? Specifically for minor with a 124 gr jhp. Cheers.

-br

I have used both Clays and N310 for the 124Hp. Both are very soft. Clays uses slightly less powder than the N310. I really like both powders, but I bought a ton of Clays because I am cheap. The results are very close and feel the same.

Can anybody tell me how Clays compares with n310? Specifically for minor with a 124 gr jhp. Cheers.

-br

I have used both Clays and N310 for the 124Hp. Both are very soft. Clays uses slightly less powder than the N310. I really like both powders, but I bought a ton of Clays because I am cheap. The results are very close and feel the same.

Thank you. I have some n310 I'd like to try with mg 124 jhp loaded to 1.144. I will start at 3.6 and work my way up with it. I'm guessing 3.9 will be the number. Cheers.

-br

-br

Thank you. I have some n310 I'd like to try with mg 124 jhp loaded to 1.144. I will start at 3.6 and work my way up with it. I'm guessing 3.9 will be the number. Cheers.

-br

I think I was right in there as well 3.6-3.8.

Greg

Edited by gpqueen

Tony

hi guys,

Thanks for any advice

Depends how long you load and what type of bullet. I load OAL of 1.200 with 4.2 N310 and a 200gr Zero. I have also used some 200 gr Berry's rn with 3.9 N310. Both make major and are very soft. If you are loading shorter you may want to go a little lighter to start.

Thanks gpqueen,

Isn't VV N310 a bit hard on .40 cal shells? A friend of mine noted that his .40 shells tend to bulge out more at the base with N310. I use an OAL of 1.80 using a 200gr FMJ head

Tony

hi guys,

Thanks for any advice

Thanks gpqueen,

Isn't VV N310 a bit hard on .40 cal shells? A friend of mine noted that his .40 shells tend to bulge out more at the base with N310. I use an OAL of 1.80 using a 200gr FMJ head

Never had any problems out of several 40 barrels-Schuemann, STI factory, Barsto. No bulging noticed at all and have reloaded same brass cases 14-15 times. Nickel cases split after 4th or 5th reload. Have heard this from other people no matter what powder they use. Nickel seem to be more brittle. I could see this maybe out of Glock factory barrel. Had it happen to a 45 Gap Glock. I do not think that any of the Glock barrels are fully supported. Could be wrong though.

Greg

Edited by gpqueen

You can get VV direct from Kaltron-Pettibone.

I just ordered 8 lbs of N320 from them.

Their prices seem extremely high though. What are their shipping charges like?

Whatever UPS ground is + hazmat.

Everything is expensive, there is no letup in sight. Brass, bullets, primers, powder.

2 years ago I could get a 4lb jug of N320 for $72, now its $100. 1k primers were $13, now they are $25. Gas has doubled. I could get 1k 9mm 124g FMJ for about $65 a thousand, now they are $94.

I expect it will get worse.

Thats a great price for you gear in OZ we pay more then double that. N320 is $200 AUD for 4lb, 1k primers is $38 AUD and for he FMJ we are looking at $35 AUS per 100, for Lead I pay $65 pre 750