Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where's Your Holster?

mpolans

When I started shooting, I borrowed my father's old Wilson-Rogers holster. A right-handed holster. I was left-handed, so when I drew, I would draw the gun with my right hand, transfer it to my left, flick the safety off and rock on.

Since I tended to practice or shoot a match about twice a week, I got pretty good at this and it worked reasonably well for several months.

Since I was starting to get half way decent, my dad decided to splurge and buy me a (then) state of the art, lefthand Safariland 007.

You know that "muscle memory" concept people talk about?

You guessed it! For the longest time, I would keep reaching for the gun on my right side! D'oh!

• 2 months later...

i do somthing like that when i swich to my IDPA rig. the gun is farther back and the mag pouches are on my side insead of right up front. I get to the shooting part and i tend to grab for a mag right up front and then cant figure out y there isnt one there.

LOL

I just had a class where several people had those holsters that attach to your thigh. I asked them if they ever grab at their thigh when they are carrying in a belt holster or vice versa and they just looked bashful!