Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advise on Mover Sight

lrjet

Jay Della Bella is converting my Caspian SS to a Bianchi Pistol. He has the Gilmore shroud and I need to figure out which mover sight to install. I am leaning toward the Stick Shift and either an Aimpoint or a Pride/Fowler Rapid Reticle?? The Gilmore/Leo sight would be nice but it seems they can be problematic and I am not able to have a few on hand in case one fails. Thanks

Good move on the Pride/Fowler scope! There are just too many problems with the Leupold/Gilmore mover sight. Had 2 crash in 2 days and the second one was at the Cup!

You'll need to mill about .090" from the bottom of the Stick Shift, along with milling off the Weaver notches on the shroud to get it low enough to work well. That also gives you a "recoil" ledge on the Stick Shift to keep it tight.

The 4 reticles on that scope work really well, with the 4 moa dot being the primary one you'll use the most. I find that the Tombstone reticle helps me find the dot on the weak-hand stage at 10 yds on Practical. YMMV.

Welcome to the world of Bianchi shooting! :cheers:

Alan~^~

P.S. Jay knows his stuff in this game!

I have both setups. There are pros and cons of each. The mover base will increase your height above bore and you'll have to aim high at 10 yards to stay in the black. The Fowler-Pride scope has a very round and crisp dot. With a mover base you have instant visual feedback as to where the scope is set. The Gilmore leader scope will have a lower height, which I find that I don't have to aim high at 10 yards. However, the Gilmore leader scope's dot is not as crisp and round. I also found out the hard way that an illumination setting below 7, changed the elevation zero. The Gilmore is mounted with hex scope rings, so any irregularities in windage/elevation cannot be fixed by rotating the scope in the rings. Both scopes use CR2032 batteries that last a long time and are inexpensive and readily available. Good luck. P.S. Jay is a standup guy. He helped out the Marine Corps team this year with a lot of sweat equity making their guns work.

Jon

Over the years I have used the Gilmore mover scope, Ron Power mover base with an Aimpoint, 1st Gen Holosight with tombstone reticle, Stick Shift with an Aimpoint and now the Stick Shift with the Pride/Fowler scope.

The Gilmore scope cannot stand up to the amount of use that most of us need. It always bothered me that you never could get the windage zero back without re sighting it in.

The Ron Power mover base was a step in the right direction but not quite. The elevation would change as you moved it right or left. Talk about sight over bore problems. I had to aim at the top of the plate to hit the middle at 10 yards.

The Holosight worked well. I still use it on the dual mover at Bianchi. I cannot aquire the sight as fast as I can a tube scope and the things eat batteries.

In my opinion, the Stick Shift is the way to go. I used an Aimpoint with it until I got the Pride/Fowler scope. The PF scope gives me the flexibility that I need. Before we had the AP1 target I used the tombstone at 50 yards. It also helps when shooting strong or weak handed to find the dot faster. The 3 verticle dots saved my bacon in Lake Charles, LA a few years back. The plates were painted with gloss paint and the sun was behind us without a cloud in the sky. The dot and the tombstone would fade out in the glare. I went to the 3 vert dots and put the top dot on the burm. This was when we had to stand up all the way to 25 yards and I cleaned them. Talk about concentration.

When I installed my Stick Shift on the shroud I milled out the weaver rail but I maintained the 1 degree angle that is built in to the shroud. I also took .090" off the bottom of the Stick Shift like Alan said. With this set up sight over bore is really not an issue with me. If I aim center of the x ring the shots will be about an inch low at 10 yards.

Jay can have you fixed up the right way. He usually does very well on the Mover.

The Stick Shift is the answer, it is the best on the market. As for the sight, I prefer the Aimpoint. The Comp C has an incredible battery life and the Dot is about as good as they come. An added advantage is the clarity, it is probably the cleanest sight picture you will find. they also offer a variety of Dot sizes, I prefer the seven minute, but

I cant see anything smaller, that's old-timers setting in. Kevin can still see the smaller ones, his time will come.

GrantJ B)

Thanks for the good information--for those that have used both the Pride/Fowler and the Aimpoint. Do they both hold their poi adjustment equally well? Which lens is bigger or about the same. Externally around the perimeter of the scope which is less cluttered--guess what I am asking is which is cleaner to look through-- use to a c-more. Looks like the Stick Shift for sure--like the 4 multi reticle option. Have to get Jays take on it also.

Thanks a lot, Grant. Ya old fart. I'm not far behind you.

I also know one hell of an optician so he fixes me up with what I need.

Hmmmm,

I :surprise: see what you mean :roflol:

Congrats, Kevin you did a helluva job at BC 2008!

MJ

Irjet,

The Aimpoint is one of the best scopes on the market. They are pretty much parallax free and I've never had any problems with the windage and elevation settings. The PFI scope has a little parallax but not as much as most of the red dots that I have used. I notice a little as the dot goes to the far right or left. It has never been a problem for me. The PFI will hold it's zero. I go for months on end without re zeroing. I have had an incident where the elevation and windage settings didn't respond to my adjustments. Most of the time I'll make an adjustment and then fire 6 rounds to be sure the springs set.

I believe the tube on the Aimpoint is slightly bigger than the PFI. I don't notice any difference. The only ones that I notice being smaller are the Accu-dot and the original Tasco PDP2. As far as "busy" is concerned, I don't notice anything that's attached to the outside of the scope. I focus all of my attention on the black x ring and bring the dot in with my peripheral vision.

Thanks, Martin.

I took the week off so we'll see how things go this weekend at Bluefield. The Cameron Cup is less than 2 weeks away. Time for some more practice.