Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Army reviewing complaints over bullets

Wasn't the M855 an attempt to beef up the 5.56?

The 6.5x55mm is the same length as a .30-06. A .308 necked to 6.5 (the .260 Remington) will fit a medium action 700 or an AR-10 and can match the old Swede - but either gun is considered too big by today's military and the ammo is too heavy.

One proposed solution is to pack the punch (or most of it) of the .260 into a cartridge that is no longer than the .223. The 6.8, the Whispers, the Grendle and a few others are trying to get there.

I don't like the lenght of the 6.5x55, but the ballistics are wonderful. Great on deer usually translates pretty well to two legged critters. That's why I brought up the grendle. I think it is a good modern rendition of the old 6.5 caliber rounds. We tried really powerful (30-06) and really small (55 gr 5.56) It makes sense to try somthing in between.

Short term solution. I just tried some Barnes Varmit Grenades. :surprise: I like 'em.

My only 6.5x55mm is the old "WWII Swedish Assault Rifle" - an M41 Ljungman Semi Auto. It was ahead of its time when it was built in 1941 and it has the accuracy to bring the heat at 800 meters all day long - with little recoil. Even has a DI gas system like the AR-15.

As far as the round's lethality, I asked my old uncle Skip about it & he took a lot of Alaskan moose with his 6.5x55mm when he worked up there for the US Geological Survey. Said its a lot more deadly than its give credit for - at least on this side of the pond. But I'm off topic again (old age sucks sometimes). d

Wasn't the M855 an attempt to beef up the 5.56?

The 6.5x55mm is the same length as a .30-06. A .308 necked to 6.5 (the .260 Remington) will fit a medium action 700 or an AR-10 and can match the old Swede - but either gun is considered too big by today's military and the ammo is too heavy.

One proposed solution is to pack the punch (or most of it) of the .260 into a cartridge that is no longer than the .223. The 6.8, the Whispers, the Grendle and a few others are trying to get there.

I don't like the lenght of the 6.5x55, but the ballistics are wonderful. Great on deer usually translates pretty well to two legged critters. That's why I brought up the grendle. I think it is a good modern rendition of the old 6.5 caliber rounds. We tried really powerful (30-06) and really small (55 gr 5.56) It makes sense to try somthing in between.

Short term solution. I just tried some Barnes Varmit Grenades. :surprise: I like 'em.

My only 6.5x55mm is the old "WWII Swedish Assault Rifle" - an M41 Ljungman Semi Auto. It was ahead of its time when it was built in 1941 and it has the accuracy to bring the heat at 800 meters all day long - with little recoil. Even has a DI gas system like the AR-15.

As far as the round's lethality, I asked my old uncle Skip about it & he took a lot of Alaskan moose with his 6.5x55mm when he worked up there for the US Geological Survey. Said its a lot more deadly than its give credit for - at least on this side of the pond. But I'm off topic again (old age sucks sometimes). d

You're making me green with envy with that Ljungman. I've shot the Egyptian descendant, the Hakim. One hell of a thumbbuster if you aren't careful. Very interesting gun though. I always wanted a Ljungman though. The great thing about a lot of the 6.5 bullets is the sectional density. They penetrate like nobodies business. Hence the dead moose.

You're making me green with envy with that Ljungman. I've shot the Egyptian descendant, the Hakim. One hell of a thumbbuster if you aren't careful. Very interesting gun though. I always wanted a Ljungman though. The great thing about a lot of the 6.5 bullets is the sectional density. They penetrate like nobodies business. Hence the dead moose.

I have a Rasheed, which is the Egyptian little brother in 7.62x39. Great gun but the gas system is too prone to

problems. When I first got it it was in storage for some time, I ran a rod through it went to the range to try it out.

I guess there was a lot of stuff in that gas tube.. :surprise:... black powder shooting anyone. Anyhow since then I

have gone completely through it and reoiling the stock and highlighting all the Arabic markings in white. Good toy !!

I know we had the same problems in somolia in 93, serious over penatraton, it would hurt them but didn't bring them down quickly. That is a big part of the reason i stayed behind the 60. Big problems are going to be nato compatiblity and the geneva convention will nix the use of hollowpoints. I hope they can figure something out for them soon. Ammuntion demands are totally different for the open versus cqb.

Kevin

thinking all our guys would love a :blizzard: