Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are You A Patient Person ?

I'm not a patient person. Not at all. But at the same time I'm also a very "hurried" person, which I perceive as being slightly different. I get very impatient just driving in traffic. Even if I am NOT running late (although I usually am). I just like to get from point A to point B in a big damn hurry! :) I would pay top dollar for a Star Trek type of transporter that would get me wherever I am going in the blink of an eye.

So I see where my "need for speed" comes from in my shooting style, but what becomes blurry to some extent, is the ability for a shooter to run & gun at breakneck speed - yet take the proper amount of time necessary to call far / partial shots in the middle of a fast-paced COF. I see this as being different from "visual patience". I think I have the visual patience to see the sights, and call the shot, but not the overall patience to know that I need to make extra-sure I am not settling for a "possible" hit on a far target for the sake of a fast time.

I know the obvious answer here is "You are not really calling your shot if you are not really sure you hit the target" but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else, or to see yourself write it down, and read it back to yourself.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

As a nurse, I thought I was patient, you have to have some patience to do this job, but, I get lessons in patience every day. It feels as though I'm in a constant rush! Yesterday, I had several people on the call-light at the same time. Some wanting pain medicine, some wanting help going to the bathroom, some wanted to ask a question or tell me something. I was trying to prioritize who to help next as the 80 year old daughter of a 102 year old woman who was actively dying, berated me for taking too long. Her mother interupted her, saying, "Letty, the man is very buissey, it's alright, I can wait!" I took care of her as quickly I could, and she passed away about an hour or so later. Later as I was franticly trying to wrap up my day, and pass the torch to the next shift so that I could start my weekend, I suddenly realized, that I had no reason to rush!

Edited by JDBraddy

I am a very very impatient person, one of Dad's favorite sayings was "Shit or get off the pot."

But it became a way of life when stepping out the door at 1250 feet counting one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four waiting for that parachute to open knowing the ground was only about six seconds away if it didn't.

On the other hand a jump from 12,000 feet gives you a whole minute to fly like a bird where you can turn and barrel roll with the movement of a hand or foot, so a 30-40 second field stage is a piece of cake to have fun on.

There are very few things I take seriously anymore.

....... was I focused on my plan, or was I distracted by "the shooting"???

hmmmmm ..... Distracted by the shooting :huh:

Could that also be referred to as being "in the Zone" ? Being focused on the task at hand ? :blink:

• 3 months later...
  • Looking your reload into the magwell requires patience. I only remember reloading once during A8, and that's because I somehow bobbled that one. Is this a bad thing? I don't know. They say you should be able to pick your sight-picture out of a line-up if needed. Well I know what my magwell looks like, but I don't remember actually making those reloads during the stage. Was I focused on my plan, or was I distracted by "the shooting"???

I remember making LOTS of reloads at the open/L-10 Nationals. (I also remember trying to find LOTS of mags in the mud & muck afterwards) <_<

But I think I could have used just a little more patience at this match. This was certainly more of an 'open' match than a LTD match, but patience played a big part for both divisions. Mostly on movers, but somewhat on small steel too.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN