Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid Revolver Question

gumshoe

It can be done. I've thought of doing the same thing. If you're going to use the revolver in competition, and you really want to shoot 9mm, it's the only option, I think.

I personally would contact Tom at TKCustom www.moonclip.com

He converts 686 and 66's to 9x23. The conversions also shoot 9x19 and 9x21. The conversions use moonclips, and I believe the price is right.

Flex, S&W's only 9mm wheelguns are really small revolvers used for defensive stuff. Ruger makes some 9mm revolvers.....

If your plan is to use this gun in USPSA shooting, you might want to do some research with S&W. I believe that they may have made a full sized K frame 9mm at one time. I used to know a guy who shot a S&W chambered in 9mm for NRA Action Pistol. Whether this was factory procuded or a creation similar to what you envision, I really don't know.

The reason why this is important is the USPSA Revolver division rules do not allow prototypes. And if S&W never made a K frame 9mm, yours would be a prototype.

The special extractor system eliminated the need for a moon clip. Sound slike stepping backwards to me. I've loaded a bunch of 9mm bullets in .38 Special cases (hey, with 70-80,000 of them on hand, why not?) and the accuracy is just fine.

But how much ammo would you have to burn to recoup the cost of the conversion?

But it sounds like just the kind of project for me.

Patrick,

I have heard you talk about S&W enough to think that you likely have some contacts there that might listen if you bent their ear.

A 9mm revolver would be an instant hit in IDPA. A factory 40 wouldn't hurt either (USPSA Major).

Two of the most popular rounds...around. ;)

Are they scared to give moon-clips to the masses? :ph34r:

How expensive do think the conversion would be. Would you have to shorten the cylinder? Could you simply ream a Model 10 cylinder, face it for for full moon clips and load 357 projectiles. I know there maybe some issues with the ball end of the cylinder and accuracy but it would be corrected with the larger projectile. Of course there maybe some pressure issues. Model 10 bull barrel guns are in SGN for 179.00 or thereabouts. The gun would have very little recoil and would be a hoot to shoot. You could load jacketed bullets for under 60.00 a thousand.

Smith produced a K-frame revolver in 9mm for a while. It was a

3-inch, round butt like the M-13. They may have enough service

parts lying around to make it a simple swap...Though you may not

want a 3-inch barrel, it would likely be just a matter of boring

and rifling a longer blank and mating it to the frame.

Give'em a call...Might work out.

Tuner

Flex, S&W already produce the 610 in 10mm auto, which will shoot .40S&W as well. I believe S&W took the .38 super road for the IDPA crowd. Their new 686 4" .38 super is the brand new "ultimate" IDPA revolver. I agree with you that a 9x19 revolver would be the coolest. I would buy one immediately.

Gumshoe, I have no idea how much such a conversion would cost. Just contact one of the guys who does these conversions and you'll know.

If you decide to do the 9mm conversion, let us know how it works out. I'm really curious.