Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired Eyes!

Leroy

I wear the progressive type of bifocals and when shooting I always had to hunt around to line up the "sweet spot" that would give me a sharp view of the front sight. OK for plinking/target shooting but very annoying in IDPA. One solution that I have seen on several shooting forums is to have the lens of your dominant eye set for a sharp focus on the front sight. The lens for the off eye is set for distance. When one of the better shooters at our club confirmed this I tried it with an old pair of frames. It's not like having those 20-year old eyes again but it works pretty well. I try to shoot with both eyes open; if I close my off eye the target is very fuzzy. If I'm looking around cover I have to try to get both eyes out far enough to see the target. The new lenses were about $35 each.

One solution that I have seen on several shooting forums is to have the lens of your dominant eye set for a sharp focus on the front sight. The lens for the off eye is set for distance.

Try this at your optometrist's shop but be aware that it makes some people nauseous. I felt sick after only a couple of minutes.....and it's really difficult to keep the sights aligned while your throwing up. :huh:

I settled on upside down bifocals. Front sight focus on the top and distance on the bottom. :rolleyes:

One night I forgot to put my regular glasses back on; the drive home from the range was a bit hairy. The near/far lens approach takes some getting used to-I wear them to dry fire and put them on as soon as I get to the range for a match or practice. I've had one pretty good shooter tell me that he prefers the front sight to be a blur-that's all he needs to see

I've had one pretty good shooter tell me that he prefers the front sight to be a blur-that's all he needs to see

It is not unknown for people with young eyes to wear corrective lenses to slightly blur the target but this is the first time I've heard of a preference for a blurred front sight. :unsure:

I wear the progressive type of bifocals and when shooting I always had to hunt around to line up the "sweet spot" that would give me a sharp view of the front sight. OK for plinking/target shooting but very annoying in IDPA. One solution that I have seen on several shooting forums is to have the lens of your dominant eye set for a sharp focus on the front sight. The lens for the off eye is set for distance. When one of the better shooters at our club confirmed this I tried it with an old pair of frames. It's not like having those 20-year old eyes again but it works pretty well. I try to shoot with both eyes open; if I close my off eye the target is very fuzzy. If I'm looking around cover I have to try to get both eyes out far enough to see the target. The new lenses were about $35 each.

I tried this, but to no avail. Much like George, I nearly tossed lunch in the start box. Luckily it didn't cost me any money.

Liota

I've had one pretty good shooter tell me that he prefers the front sight to be a blur-that's all he needs to see

It is not unknown for people with young eyes to wear corrective lenses to slightly blur the target but this is the first time I've heard of a preference for a blurred front sight. :unsure:

He is using target focus which means the sights will be fuzzy. You can still sight very accurately that way, it has some advantages since you can shoot with both eyes open and focused on the target.

I wear the progressive type of bifocals and when shooting I always had to hunt around to line up the "sweet spot" that would give me a sharp view of the front sight.

I had the same problem. I ended up using a right lense with an "intermediate" focus point. I shoot with both eyes focused on the target, dom eye looking through the sights. The dom lense puts the sights close to in focus, a little fuzzy. Still easy to see.